3-way Stereo Wiring

snipes2222

hey guys im new here so im sorry if this question has been asked before.

Ill tell you what i would like to do.I want to wire 2 output jacks in the guitar im building so i can run 2 amps at the same time BUT i would like a 3-way switch so i can run one the other or both at the same time.I realize that i could use an a/b floor switch to go between the two but i think it would be cool to have the option in the guitar.Any help you guys can give would be great.From what ive read on here most of you guys are quite experienced.Thank you,Wes

Edited by snipes2222

Just use a SPDT toggle to switch between output jacks, or use a Gibson-style toggle in reverse if you want the option of running both at once.

I'd use a DPDT toggle... using the other pole to ground the input to the amp I ain't using. An open input to an amp is only an invitation to create additional noise that you probably don't need.

Edit dang it. A DPDT with a center off position. Either amp or both.

Edited by JoeAArthur

An open input to an amp is only an invitation to create additional noise that you probably don't need.
Yeah, good call, grounding the unused output is probably a good idea, but if you're gonna go that far, isolating at least one of the outputs with either a transformer or an active splitter/ground lift to avoid ground loops between amps is also a good idea - personally, I think all this stuff belongs in a box on the floor, but if you're gonna put it on board, you probably ought to do all of it. :D

I was wondering a while back of using a stereo jack on the guitar.. one channel is the output from the bridge humbucker, one channel from the neck.. 2x tone and 1x vol, even I can draw up a diagram for that, that way you're not just 'running two amps' but you can run the neck pickup through your small amp and bridge pickup through another.. ? good idea, or stupid? :D

Or even 2 vols, and messing with them you can get a kinda ping-pong effect, or balance out the volumes from each pickup if you're playing through similar sized amps etc..