Would This Be Possible

Hi all and thanks for this amazing forum and site,

it's a treasure!

I'm a newbie in this guitarbuilding world, have done 1 stratocaster successfully so to speak,

except from fiddeling around doing some minor repair work.

I have access to a pretty good workshop with some good powertools as well as woodworking

tools, but I am in no means a luthier or a pro builder/repair man.

Having said that, trying to cover my behind from asking a possible stupid question B) *grin*

I've got this idea about a hybrid guitar type ..

This is what I would like to try:

I would like to build a super thinline telecaster/archtop body and put a humbucker or an acoustic pickup

on it, and skip the sound hole and just make the something like F holes found on a hollowbody tele.

And then I have a maple strat neck that I would like to incorporate into it "creating some kind of "neck adapter thingy" .. and all this to be able to create a Nylon semi acoustic guitar with pickup, and most important, a guitar that would be as "easy" and comfortably to play as a ordinary electric guitar.

Would that be possible ? or is it just the most stupid idea ever faced the light of day ? ..*lol*

I got inspired whan I saw a guitar at "http://www.pharaohguitars.com/Guitars.html"

the one called "Big Daddy: Named for the Big guy himself, Bill Parker. Hollow body, neck through design"

but I would use an ordinary classic nylon bridge.

Anyone have any thoughts about such a project ? .. or is it just a stupid idea that wouldn't work ?

I'm grateful if anyone would guide me, or give me any tip at all.

thanks in advance

you have a good one :D:D

regards from sweden

//KenHan

Sounds like a Godin Multiac Nylon, just with F-holes. Won't be 'semi acoustic' so much as 'semi hollow'; making nylon archtops is possible, but by all accounts pretty difficult to get a good acoustic sound out of. What you've got there, on paper, is a chambered electric with a piezo in the bridge.

You might want to look into Sperzel tuners, they've got a nylon string model for solid headstocks available.

You're talking about using a strat neck with nylon strings? They're pretty thick ... I would probably find them too tightly spaced with that nut width.

It'd probably work with a UST but a humbucker isn't going to pick up the vibrations of nylon strings. They're not conductive.

Sounds like a good steel string project but I wouldn't use nylon ones personally.

You're talking about using a strat neck with nylon strings? They're pretty thick ... I would probably find them too tightly spaced with that nut width.

It'd probably work with a UST but a humbucker isn't going to pick up the vibrations of nylon strings. They're not conductive.

Sounds like a good steel string project but I wouldn't use nylon ones personally.

I see, well first thanks for answering me! I really apreciate it.

so I should go for a single coil ?

let me try to clarify my aim..

I want to build a nylon cutaway with some kind of pickup, and the smallest neck

possible ... preferably a maple neck/fretboard ..

How would you design such a guitar ? body/pickup/neck/ ..

where should I start? are there any available kits that I can buy and modify

or is it better to start from scratch..

I have several steel string acoustics and electrics that are excellent,

but sometimes I would like to record using a nylon guitar, and almost every

classical nylon guitar I have ever tried has had a HUGE fretboard IMHO,

and I don't like them at all .. I want a thin neck 42-44mm at the nut if possible

(about what I have on my strat, and tele )

any thoughts about this?

it should be possible to build a really comfy nylon guitar shouldn't it ?

thanks and have a gooe one

//KenHan

Yes...everything is possible...

Reminds me a lot of this thread...

Nylon String Strat Project Guitar

With a tiny body, you are really not going to get too much acoustic sound, and it's probably not going to be that great anyway...so it will be essentially an electric guitar...may as well go the whole hog like this and make it solid or chambered if you want and rely on the electronics and classical style bridge to compensate the sound...

vladdrac made this one in 2004 and there are a couple of sound clips of it in the first post...well worth a look!

You may want to consider that there is a reason for the string spacing that relates to the picking and fretting techniques of the classical style and tradition. They don't just make them wide to make it difficult you know.

But, the nylon string sound is nice and is useful in non-classical music like the blues, so perhaps you have a good idea in mind for some alternative music...in which case...go ahead!!

Good luck, hope that helps... pete

I see, well first thanks for answering me! I really apreciate it.

so I should go for a single coil ?

let me try to clarify my aim..

I want to build a nylon cutaway with some kind of pickup, and the smallest neck

possible ... preferably a maple neck/fretboard ..

How would you design such a guitar ? body/pickup/neck/ ..

where should I start? are there any available kits that I can buy and modify

or is it better to start from scratch..

Ah, ok. Forget all types of magnetic pickups. Single coil, humbucker, doesn't matter, you're not going to pick up ANY sound if you're using nylon strings. Look up how magnetic pickups work; basically, magentic strings (steel) vibrate in magentic field (pickup magnets) and induce a current in the coil of wire wrapped around the magnets (grossly simplifying it all here). Non-magnetic strings, like Nylon strings (or even Phosphor Bronze strings if you're trying to use 'normal' pickups; the bass strings won't react how you'd expect them to), and you get nada. Zip. You need some type of transducer, like an undersaddle piezo or similar. Look at amplification systems for acoustic guitars.

I don't know of any available kits for what you want, as such, but you could probably mod any body that didn't have pre-drilled/routed pickup cavities/bridges/etc.

I have several steel string acoustics and electrics that are excellent,

but sometimes I would like to record using a nylon guitar, and almost every

classical nylon guitar I have ever tried has had a HUGE fretboard IMHO,

and I don't like them at all .. I want a thin neck 42-44mm at the nut if possible

(about what I have on my strat, and tele )

any thoughts about this?

it should be possible to build a really comfy nylon guitar shouldn't it ?

thanks and have a gooe one

//KenHan

44mm should be just about doable, but a bit tight; go look at Godin's Multiac series, check the dimensions on those, look at Gibson's Chet Atkins acoustic solidbody guitars (there's an oxymoron for ya!). As for whether the string spacing will work, well, I can't tell you. Look what's out there, lay out the nut for a pseudo classical taking into account the thickness of the strings, and go from there.

I'm all for a not-crazy-wide Nylon string, particularly if you're not playing traditional classical guitar style and technique. Perfectly fine, and there are instruments out there already following this vein (the godin and the gibson come to mind).

This instrument will be electric, entirely. Don't count on the body to do the acoustics. Heck, some acoustic amplificaiton pioneers like Rick Turner maintain that the best way to get an easily amplifiable acoustic sound to a PA is...an electric/solidbody guitar with the right pickup systems. A microphone in front of an acoustic gives you the most natural, great sound, but it's very impractical in most cases. And real acoustics? At high stage volumes? FCan feed back like crazy.

thanks again for the replys!

of course it will not work with nylon strings and a regular pickup, I dunno what I thought about (well I most certainly didn't thnk at all about that part)

oh well anyway, I've also been looking at those Godin, Parker, Gibson ... they are marvelous, but ridiciously expensive, thee are so much hype in the guitarworld, now more than ever, people pay all kinds of money as long as the headstock has a familliar logo on it. I do believe in quality, and I certainly have high quality guitars, but you can easily pass the line from where it is quality, and becomes ridiciously ..

I've had so many guitars over the years, I'm not even sure I could remember them all, but some of the nicest ones I've had that just was so comfortable and easily played, where cheap copies of the high $ originals ... not because they had better parts, but because they where crafted in a way that suits my taste and preference.

I'm now talking about the feeling and playability ... when it comes to recording in studio etc ... then you might want to ensure you have just the right hardware and stuff to reach your "sound" / goal.

The reason I am mention this is because I've always wanted a thinline nylon electric acoustic with cutaway that resempled as much as possible to a ordinary electric guitar, and I'm trying to find a cheaper way of getting it, and at the same time maybe go a little outside the box, or at least stretch out a little from the ordinary.

Thats why I came up with this crazy idea, archtop with nylon strings cutaway and a "not to expensive pickup/preamp system" or just a thinline as mentioned before.

There seems to be a growing market for "assemble yourself guitarkit" such as saga kits, and more expensive marting kits etc...but I have not been able to find a thinline kit ...

At one time I thought about buying a kit and modify it by simply make the sides much smaller or something

I am not aiming for a "go on stage" quality instrument, but for a comfortable, and easy way to add some nylon guitar / spanish feel to some of my songs in my homestudio, during the writing process.

Are there any good low budget option out there when it comes to pickups for nylon guitars/bridges system ..

nedless to say I am not very educated when it comes to classical/nylon guitars ... so any tip is greatly apreciated ..

I know I need a bridge for the nylon setup - and then some piezo(or other) ... do I also need a preamp to make it work ? ..... like for instance on my takamine I have this supernice pickup system with equalizer and a tuner built into it, that would be awesome, but it is too expensive for this project, and for this phaze in my life. I used to have a pretty good cash flow, but those days are gone now .. :D

hehehe

you all have a good one

//Kenneth

BTW: check this one!

http://www.hancockguitars.com/Classic%20Solid.htm

looks awesome if you ask me ... very unusual .. :D

Edited by KenHan

Are there any good low budget option out there when it comes to pickups for nylon guitars/bridges system ..

nedless to say I am not very educated when it comes to classical/nylon guitars ... so any tip is greatly apreciated ..

Follow that link to the Nylon String Strat Project Guitar I posted earlier...looks exactly the way you should go, whether thinline or solidbody. Basically a strat with a clasical style bridge and a cheap piezio built into the top. These preamped (yes you will need one) piezos are getting cheaper all the time and don't sound half bad really...

pete

Follow that link to the Nylon String Strat Project Guitar I posted earlier...looks exactly the way you should go, whether thinline or solidbody. Basically a strat with a clasical style bridge and a cheap piezio built into the top. These preamped (yes you will need one) piezos are getting cheaper all the time and don't sound half bad really...

pete

okie dokie! thanks again, I didn't get that link to work,

but I went to jemsite and searched for the userpost and finaly found it ..

jepp .. you're right .. I'm gonna go for that idea ..

have a good one

//Ken1