Routers

chibi

I've had a hell of a time doing my pickups and routing out my bridge for my floyd rose on my V project... and not to mention my neck slot...

The most frustrating part was is that i don;t have a bearing bit for my router, so as u can imagin fallowing a line was not as easy as it seems...

Since i'm not sure when i'll get ahold of one, does anyone have any tips for doing all my routering without a bearing?

I have also seen and used a method where you use double sided tape to stick blocks of wood to the body blank at the outer edge of where your router base will set when you reach the edges of of your route. In other words, draw your cavity on the work piece, then position you router with the bit sitting at the edge of each side line. Mark these positions and then stick the blocks of wood to the work piece at these points.

This way as you route, the wooden blocks will guide the base of your router and give you clean lines. I don't have time to draw up an example of this right now, but if you think about what I said, I think you'll get the idea.

chibi, I tried to go the cheap route (no pun intended) on this and had very, very poor results. I decided to go with a bearing bit. I want something I can be proud of, you know?

I also tried to go cheap with my router. I'm throwing that piece of crap away. I've been saving up for a bosch router for about 6 months now. I should have it soon!

no no don;t get me wrong... i have a great router... just my tooling wasn;t good enough. I'm just trying to find out what i can do untill i manage to get ahold of a new bit for the router. But there is one thing that is bothering me. Like i can understand how the routing is done, i just want to be able to see whats going on before hand. Does anyone have a picture of someone routing out there pickups? in any method of course.