Sticker Finish

Guest PoonTangRat

Guest PoonTangRat

I have already searched through the forums looking for an answer to this, there is alot of useful info, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. B):D:D

My guitar is now absolutely covered in stickers stuck on top of the old finish. I would like to preserve the current look of the guitar and I am trying to find out if there are any options for applying a clear coat to stop the stickers being scratched off. Anyhelp with this will be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Hey everybody!

Guest PoonTangRat

I have already searched through the forums looking for an answer to this, there is alot of useful info, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

Do a search for "sticker" and you'll find this: sticker search

I've already tried that but I still can't get a specific answer of what finish to use and how many coats to apply, but thanks for the help anyway B):D:D

Assuming you don't have a spray rig, you are limited to what you can get in a spray can. Any clearcoat should be good. Several guys here have had good luck with Deft. You should be able to get spray cans of Deft at Home Depot type places.

As far as number of coats, it really depends on how smooth you want the finish to be. If you just want to put some clear over the stickers, and you don't mind the edges of the stickers showing, you will need fewer coats than if you want the whole thing perfectly smooth. If you want the whole thing smooth, you just keep spraying and leveling until there are no more ridges from the sticker edges. This may take a bunch of coats.

... You have to remember that your finish will only remain as good as the bond of your stickers. If you put your stickers onto raw wood, the adhesion isn't going to be great. It might be for a while, but it will diminish. When it does, you will likely see what appears to be bubbles in your finish. You want a smooth flat surface to put the stickers on, even then, over time you MAY see them start to lift under the clear causing the bubble look. At the very least, I would seal the wood completely and sand it dead smooth, then I would apply a couple coats of clear. Sand that nice and flat with some 800. Apply your stickers, then clear over them. You'll need a lot of clear and then sanding to make it all level out, then a final coat of clear. If you don't really care about having a perfect finish then by all means, just apply the stickers and clear over them, it won't be perfect but the stickers won't peel off.

Found this on in the sticker search. It basically means for you that after you clear you need to sand it even and then clear coat again. The amount you need to clear and sand is depending on how much your stickers have made the surface of your guitar uneven. You also could have big problems with the stickers peeling off while your working. To help this I might try to super glue the problem areas and then hope for the best. You also might want to try to contact TeiscosRock and findout how his ordeal went if he ended up going through with it.

Muddd

You've probably seen these - tables that have a thick clear coat that holds embedded objects or pictures. That's epoxy. That would work but I have no idea what it would do to the tone of the guitar.

This is just a picture beneath a clear coat http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Reave...rt/100_0081.jpg the tone is real bright but I don't know if it's the pickups,wood or what.

Guest PoonTangRat

Thanks alot for the answers and tips you guys have really helped.

This Deft stuff does anybody know where I can get it in the U.K or a similar substitute.

Also i may have access to a spray room at college, what would I need for that?

Cheers again :D:D