Paint

ok ive read all the tutorials about painting and all and this is a dumb question but i am doing a black finish. do you paint the wood black with no prepping or anything let it dry and then clear coat? or do you prep the word paint it black and then the clear coat stuff. havent been able to figure it out and i dont want to mess up the paint

If you read all the tuts then u surely saw this one right? Look at what stage one is.

yes i did see that. but i dont know what he means by jet. and it doesnt answer my quesiton about when i put the color paint down. it is just concered with the clear coat. i want to know if you just paint the wood your choosen color and go from there.

You'll know exactly what "jet" is referring to when you read the first post of that thread :D . That pinned topic has much more than just spraying the clear. Read the whole thread. You simply have to apply some common sense to know what procedures that he uses on the jet that will need to be different, or alltogether dropped, when finishing a guitar.

i just read through the whole thread. sorry its my first paint job and im over thinking it if anything so that i dont mess up. its a robert johnson tribute guitar. basically a tesico i fixed up new pickups and pickguard. then i sanded it down and have glued a picture of robert johnson from his studio recordings album to the front and i plan to finish the rest of the guitar in black. just wanted to make sure im not messing anything up.