Robert Johnson Guitar

i just re-did a teisco e-120 guitar with new pickguard and electronics and pickups. then i sanded down the old sunburst paint job and i pasted a picture of robert johnson onto the body. i painted the rest black and am about to clear coat the guitar.

my question is: is having a picture of robert johnson on my guitar copyright infringement for whoever owns the rights to that picture? i dont plan on selling the guitar but i did want to use it in guitarmaggeddon which is comnig up but if i win any level of the competition would that be considered gaining money of some1s copyright?

this is why i have not posted a picture yet. i may be panicking for no reason but i just want to be safe.

The only 2 known photographs (the only 2 I've ever heard of anyway) are apparently owned by Delta Haze Corporation.

Gotta love that Google!

barneygoogle.jpg

yes those are the only 2 pictures of robert johnson that are known. i just want to be sure that im not doing anything illegal in making a tribute guitar to him. he's the reason i started playing guitar so i figured id make sure everytime i play i remember the man who got me started.

yes those are the only 2 pictures of robert johnson that are known. i just want to be sure that im not doing anything illegal in making a tribute guitar to him. he's the reason i started playing guitar so i figured id make sure everytime i play i remember the man who got me started.

If you're really nervous about it, contact this Delta Haze outfit.

Though I'm kind of wary of outfits that grab the copyright on other people's work. They have no more ownership claim to those photographs than you do.

Since it's for private use, I don't think there's an issue. As long as you're not trying to sell the guitar.

If they're truly dedicated to the memory of these old blues artists, then they'll end up featuring your guitar on their site. They'll have to pay you for that, of course. :D

If they're truly dedicated to the memory of these old blues artists, then they'll end up featuring your guitar on their site. They'll have to pay you for that, of course.

yea thatd be pretty nice. getting money for having a picture of my guitar up. im only 15 so i could defintely use that cash towards the les paul studio ive been saving up for for the past year.

eh wishful thinking huh?

15 ? Heck, you can almost get away with murder at that age. If you were older and owned a house, then you'd have something to worry about. What can anybody sue a 15 year old for ?

Yeah, they'll just go after your parents lol. Maybe nows the time to start blowing stuff up, beating cars up and using photographs to put on your guitar, before you turn legal :D

yea sounds like a plan. i even figure i'll start a fight club revolution.

anyway i expanded my guitar idea to an enitre finish of all the great blues players that influenced me so far ive got

robert johnson (of course)

son house

elmore james

charley patton

muddy waters

buddy guy

hubert sumlin

jimi hendrix

johnny winter

b.b. king

eric clapton

john lee hooker