Carving the tummy and arm contours

Jimm

I need to know if anyone has designed a jig that simplifies this process.

In the near future, I will be starting a shop that will be building bodies, but this is the only aspect that is causing me grief.

I know that most of you hand shave these to specs, but in the interest of turn-around time for my customers, I will need to come up with something less time consuming.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I know I have used two very different methods to take the meat of the wood away.

One involved a spindle sander using heavy grit, took about 5 minutes to get the job done.

The other was with a stand up 1" belt sander and took about 15 minutes.

I still can't figure out how to cut away the majority of the wood in that area without over doing it, anybody else?

outside of how the big boys do it (CNC machines) it's basically by hand, however, if you have a big enough band saw, you can cut the arm recess, and with a decent jig and a large diameter blade you can remove material in a hurry on a table saw in the tummy cut out. just run it across the blade, and keep adjusting the height. then smooth it with a rasp, then sand paper.

• 2 weeks later...

For a high speed cutter/shaper look up part number SPCPF over at Luthiers Merchantile. It's a router attachment that has bearings.......

Does a simular job as a spindle sander, just doesn't have the same motions.

Definatly a major carnage sort of tool though, so be careful......

Only cost's $52.00