Finally Started New Build

Hello all,

Well I finally started my first build. I am building a strat knock off with a set neck, flat body, and humbuckers. Will be a hardtail. This is for my nephew. Starting with an ash body, and his old squire neck.(he likes it, so why not). First was working on the neck conversion for set neck. I still have a way to go. LOL:))). Have also roughed out the body. Will be working on the neck tenon this weekend. Will more than likely make this with rear mounted PUPS and hardware with a maple cap, maybe a marquetry back with different woods. Not sure, but have an idea for screwless covers. Not sure if it will work though.

heres the neck started.

check out the pics at

http://www.mikrovisions.com/pgmember/

or at the home page click on Tweety Bird.

http://www.mikrovisions.com

I'm not sure if I'll use the flamed or the pudding/quilted maple for the cap. LOL:)))

I rubbed some mineral spritis on the neck for the pics. It really shows the grain on the heel. It should not be quite as dark when sealed with shellac before staining.

Thanks for looking and all of the help so far.

MK

edited to update links

Looks like the neck conversion is well on track! Nice lines there, I'm looking forward to seeing the neck mounted. Keep us posted as I would like to follow this one from a distance if nothing else.

Good luck!

Nate Robinson :D

So you just glued a new piece of wood to the bottom of the heel?

Well sorta of, It was a little more complicated. I have pics on what I did. I'll try and post them at my site later.

In short, I first planed the heel down to get it flat and square, then cut the heel from side to side just below the fretboard. Then glued on the wood to the heel. rough cut the area at the scallop and began the shaping process.

Also I drilled the screw holes to 1/4" and glued in dowels to fill them before adding the extra wood.

Mike

Looking nice. I don't think I have ever heard of Pudding/Quilt(figure described as such), but that board has some great looking figure. It should look really unique when bookmatched. Keep up the good work.

Peace,Rich

Thanks Rich,

I'm thinking that the piece will be really nice also.

MIke

Looks like the neck conversion is well on track! Nice lines there, I'm looking forward to seeing the neck mounted. Keep us posted as I would like to follow this one from a distance if nothing else.

Good luck!

Nate Robinson :D

Thanks Nate,

I'll try and keep documenting as I go. Sometimes I forget LOL:)))

Mike

So you just glued a new piece of wood to the bottom of the heel?

Well sorta of, It was a little more complicated. I have pics on what I did. I'll try and post them at my site later.

In short, I first planed the heel down to get it flat and square, then cut the heel from side to side just below the fretboard. Then glued on the wood to the heel. rough cut the area at the scallop and began the shaping process.

Also I drilled the screw holes to 1/4" and glued in dowels to fill them before adding the extra wood.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean there...when you say you cut the heel form side to side, do you mean you narrowed it into a tenon? It doesn't look like it from the photos...

I'm curious, because I'm wondering how strong the joint will be this way. Looks really nice though!

snip...

I'm not entirely clear what you mean there...when you say you cut the heel form side to side, do you mean you narrowed it into a tenon? It doesn't look like it from the photos...

snip... Looks really nice though!

Mick,

What I did was remove the back of the heel to remove the radiused corners. This gave me a flat surface at the rear of the heel also. If you look at the pics you will see the neck from the side and the fretboard is overhanging. That is the area that was removed before the extended wood was added. Then I narrowed the bottom surface and the sides to give relief for the body joint to allow for blend sanding.

I hope that makes sense???? LOL!!

edited to add: see the second pic on 2nd row and click on it to enlarge I think that might give you the best view. http://www.mikrovisions.com/pgmember/

Thanks for the input. I am going to try and get the neck pocket done this weekend if possible.

Mike K

• 1 month later...

Well all,

I finally got to get some more work done this project. The Ash body I started with developed a crack in the area of the neck pocket so I pulled out some sapele and started a new body. Got the neck pocket routed and the neck tenon fitted, glued up the bookmatched top halves and got then sanded. Going to the Guitar show tomorrow so I won't get any more done this weekend and having surgery on Monday, so next week looks to be shot to H

Check out the progress here.

http://www.mikrovisions.com/pgmember/firstbuild.html

Thanks for everyones help and support.

Mike

I hope all the guys on here who asked "bolt to set-neck conversion" questions a while back (when it seemed quite the popular question) are paying attention!

I know I am :D it's looking great so far!

Thanks TR,

I'll try and keep up the docs on this one.

MK