Purple Heart

daveq

If anyone here has experience working with Purple Heart, could you tell me how to preserve the purple color after cutting (if possible). I know it will change to a blue/brown over time if not protected but I'm talking about short-term. I noticed when I ran it through the jointer (6 out of 10 speed) it turned brownish red. Is that the best I can hope for or is there a way to keep the bright purple color when cutting this wood? Please remember, I'm NOT talking about what happens to it over time when unprotected - I'm just talking about cutting it and how it changes color during the process.

Thanks,

Dave

I noticed something interesting -

The pieces that I cut all seem to turn brownish everywhere except where the blade came to rest on it (table saw). Normally, this would burn most wood but it seems as though it has a polishing affect on the purple heart. Maybe I can use a buffing wheel to polish it to a nice bright purple when I'm done?

I don't think it's the piece of wood I bought since it was bright purple on each side from the lumber store. There must be something about the way I'm cutting it. The jointer, bandsaw and table saw all make it turn brown. :D

lol i just cut out a neck on my board for a neck thru, the entire back of the "neck" is black from the table saw :D now that i think about it... when ever i ran it through the jointer it turned from the nice purple to light brown too, i think that's the raw colour, and it just takes a couple days/a week or 2 to get that nice purple (once all the burn marks from a blade have been sanded away) i think it's just part of the wood's oxidation cycle, then if u let the wood continue to oxidize it loses the purple and turns more and more brown.