First Project - Les Paul + Tele Love Child

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. I'm leaning towards the segments this am. curious what you would do, less space between the slots? fatter segments? I'll fool around a bit. I think the slots look like gills. I think I have a 'shark' guitar in my future

I'm not sure what you should change. I love the idea but something just seems off to my eye. I think maybe the slats are too wide, or too staight. Maybe the lines should be less perpendicular to the centerline of the guitar. Does that make sense? I'm probably not much help. :D The F-hole in and of itself is very curvey, maybe the slats need alittle more curve to them.

A single in the middle would give you this, plus the in between sounds would be more "quacky". You could set it up so you can combine the middle single with either the neck or bridge humbucker, or a single coil in one of those positions.

I want to try this. any diags you would recommend. Seymour Duncan has quite a list on their site of different setups. any of these meet your specs?

schematics

This looks like a good starting point:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...l_tone_spl.html

Throw in a couple of push/pull or push/push pots for added fun.

Here are a couple of other links for you (from the main pg site):

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/menu.php

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/categor...pickupdiagrams/

The March 09 regular F-hole was my favourite, but the current favourite on your Blog is a good compromise. Almost the same as the Mar09, but with the segmented "venetian blind" F-hole.

Whatever you do, do NOT tempt yourself to put one near the electronics like earlier. The single F-hole is the way to be.

Greg

Do you have a plan for reinforcing the f-hole slats? Those are 100% shortgrain, and are going to be *very* fragile, to the point that they're unlikely to survive as long as it takes to you to finish cutting them! Don't loose site of the materials you're working with, which means considering grain direction, and unfortunately, occasionally requires a compromise of the visual element.

Do you have a plan for reinforcing the f-hole slats? Those are 100% shortgrain, and are going to be *very* fragile, to the point that they're unlikely to survive as long as it takes to you to finish cutting them! Don't loose site of the materials you're working with, which means considering grain direction, and unfortunately, occasionally requires a compromise of the visual element.

- Thanks. I was hoping to use a drill press and make a couple million passes to remove the material without too much chiseling as I imagine I would break it out after a few hits :D

- a woodworder bud of mine thinks that chiseling is the only way.

- I'm using a birdseye maple top that will be only about 1/4" thick by the time I matchbook it.

worst case is that I simply go with the march 9 f-hole.

-- Appreciate the feedback.

that pickgaurd design is sexy..... that guitar is all around sexy....... but build it with some pretty wood and use a clear pickgaurd with like some trim around it in the color your hardware is going to be...... that would look real nice.