My First Inlay

Just thought I'd show ya'll my first attempt at a non-circle style inlay. Cause dots... sure, they're easy.... make your OWN dots and inlay them... SLIGHTLY harder.... but I thought I'd take it up a notch and try an actual "shape" inlay. And I think for a first attempt it came out pretty well.

So I present to you:

"Alien Moon Rising Over Snow Capped Mountain" on purpleheart.

firstinlay.jpg

Chris

Thanks all.

jer: Ever since I first saw recon stone I've been in love with it. I'll choose it over shiny shell ANY day! My last guitar I even made my tiny side dots outta the stuff cause I love it so much! So yeah, this is recon stone from www.masecraftsupply.com those guys are EXCELLENT people. The moon is blue river agate, the snow is bianco nero, and the mountain is brown and orange spiney (which doesn't appear on their site anymore for some reason?). However, that's probably ok, I don't like the mountain's material that much... doesn't look very "stone-like". But hey, it was my first so I used the sample materials they sent me and didn't have much material choice for this one. If you get interested in recon stone, ask them for a sample package (it's rediculous how much free stuff they'll send you!!!! atleast they did me!). Some are better than others, so 'request' one's that you're interested in in the sample before you buy so you can see if that's one of the good ones. For the most part however they're all useful. Only one's I haven't been impressed with were the tortoise shell, the brown and orange spiney, and that blue river agate too (doesn't look "real" to me), and any of the SOLID colors (they're not really textured enough to seem like real stone). But anything else is really good, especially the one's that are advertised as "with matrix" they're amazing.

Ok, I'm blabbing on too much now...

Chris

Wow, masecraft looks like a really good place. And this recon stone, I like it. Definantly has is place, I mean pearl is needed for certain projects, but I think I'll definantly get more use out of this stuff. btw. I only see one with the "/w matrix" but it looks gorgeous. Thanks for the tip!

Michael

Oh, and your inlay looks beautiful (almost forgot what this thread was about)