Brian's turorials pay off.. lol

My friend Rick took a slight twist to Brian's Fret Bevel tutorial.. it works great.. but we got alot more tools to build... We also have been having problems using the jointer my brother-in-law has... I even read up on it and went back.. and still couldn't get it to work right.. anyone have any tips on jointers? or maybe I need to buy a better one...

http://www.guitarfrenzy.0catch.com

take a look

Matt

For both ends to have a problem, both tables may be screwed up. Make sure you are placing pressure on the out-feed table once the cutting is under way. Other than that, I'm not sure what else could be going wrong. You probably already knew that, but I wanted to mention it to be sure.

If the problem is severe enough, you might be able to see it using a level on each side of the jointer. If it is a slight mis-alignment, you probably won't be able to see the difference on a level. Maybe it's time to spend some big $$$ on a new one?

Yeah, I'm already considering buying a new one.. I looked at some Delta and Dewalt jointers.. they really looked sturdy and rugged... but they aren't cheap. I did try what you suggested and the infeed table isn't exactly level... but there is no way to adjust it that I can find.. the book didn't even mention it either.. so it's probably a flaw in it...

I really don't know if I should buy one if I can find someone who can do it for me, since it's probably gonna take me forever to get those 5 guitars completed... and if I stick with building guitars.. I'll buy one down the road..

Thanks

Matt V

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know but I want to be sure before you spend any time/money on this -

you are definitely holding the piece on the outfeed end as it is cutting and not the infeed, right? If not, this could cause something like you have described, but not exactly.

Good luck - nothing like a good joint :D er

yeah , i kniw the problem you are referring to. it happens me all the time, the last 1/2 inch or so is cut deeper than the rest.

as yet i am unsure as to what causes this , but i reckon it would help to sharpen the blade on the joiner/planer

the way i get around this is i leave the board about an inch too long then trim it after i run it through the jointer.

its a puzzling problem! :D

john.

Yeah but I know what causing the problem but there is no way to adjust it.. at least not to my knowledge. From what I've read the outfeed table and infeed table both need to be align with each other even if the infeed table is 1/16 lower.. it still must run parallel with it.. but his infeed table slopes down when you adjust it.. and I don't really see an adjustment to fix it... so basically it's digging in when it first starts off.. then when it hits the outfeed table it drastically brings the wood up.. thus you have a scoop.. humm.. let me post some drawings if I can to show you what I mean..

Here is the link with the drawing I drew to explain what's happening to the jointer we are using.. I know what the problem is.. but can't really fix it since I don't think they have an adjustment for it.. maybe it's not suppose to ever get out of align.. but this one sure did..

http://www.guitarfrenzy.0catch.com

look at close to the bottom of the page after the jointer picture....

Thanks