Relicing Advice

I've got a few tips. For the typical 'wear' spots, chip away most of the finish, then sand the edges with sandpaper as shown here:

DSC01572.jpg

I sanded from the edge towards the middle of the body, duplicating how my arm would rub against that after years and years of playing. I believe I used 220 grit to accomplish that.

I did the same for these 2 parts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01574.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01573.jpg

I used a screwdriver to chip off the paint. I got lucky because I previously refinished the guitar (which was black) with Dupli-Color acrylic lacquer, which chipped off REAL easy. It probaly wont work for you though because the body is finished in poly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01571.jpg

I'd like to add that I also dented a few spots and such with a hammer making it look like it was banged around. I did it on the edges of the body, the top, and on the headstock. I also rubbed the finish down with #0000 steel wool to make it look satin, and un-glossy in typical wear areas. Don't forget the cig burn on the headstock too :D

Hope this helped!

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

This would work much better with a Nitro finished guitar.

I'm not sure what type of strat body that is, but based on the paint job (the black in the burst extends into the contour on the back of the guitar body, sure sign of a veneer, at least for Fender) and the photos you've shown, it is veneered. You might have some problems there if you go through the veneer, it won't look right.

in all honesty ageing the bare wood is terrifying me, it's the only part i have no idea whatsoever as to how to go about it, staining it is looking like the best option at the moment, but i think burning the wood a little to darken it before staining might do some good as well

anyways, piccy time, keep in mind that this is far from finished; it will need sanding and staining and so on and so forth

the front

the back

as for that pen finish for the dents, here is a better example, although a little out of focus

Do you have an exact picture or mental picture at least, or how the guitar is going to look like?

I like the EVH, but I still think that's too gradual. It looks like someone spilled some acids and washed that spot away. As in, the edges/lines on the paint seems too steep to look like a 'wear'. I guess blending in is the key.

Keep up the good work! And Good luck!

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000248.html

http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/fenderfiles/T...arsToDieFor.asp

I'm assuming you've done your research but, just in case, I've found a few sites that talk about RG's strat. Its actually a very unique guitar that did not go thru the usual wear and tear that most guitars faced throughout the years. There are LOTS of hints for what you are trying to do in the descriptions. I think you should rethink your approach. The idea of burning to get some effect is irreversible, not a good call. That guitar was never burned.

They say Rory's blood type was very rare and resulted in a very acidic sweat. Thats a good clue for you right there. Try experimenting with mild solutions of various acids, hydrochoric would be my first choice. Its a real hard job you have taken on, even the Fender Custom shop RG strat doesn't come real close to the original. Do some more research and experimenting first. I can't see 31 years worth of playing that guitar by that guy being done overnight.

I've been looking at some DVD copies that I "acquired" quite a while ago. :D

The Irish Tour - 1974

RG at Rockpalast - 1976

Live at the Hammersmith Odeon "Pistol Slapper Blues" - 1977

It would be well worth the effort to study this concert footage, if you can "acquire" it, :D . Even thru that span of years you might notice slight changes in the finish and get a good idea of where its going to end up. Also, Gallagher's playing style is right there in front of you. He used his volume knob quite a bit to get a sort of "wowing" effect. Pinky wrapped around the knob and forearm rubbing on the body behind the bridge. Spend some more time gathering info, reading, experimenting and comparing. Good luck!

you might have 40 years of playing behind you mate, but i dont

as for the veneer, i'm working around it. It's a gallagher inspired guitar axe after all, i'm not after a carbon copy, so i'm thinking of leaving the sides painted and wearing the finish down as heavily as possible using a scotch block, and cover up the veneer already showing, i've used it already around some of the harder edges, like the neck anchor, and the result is great

If i were to relic that, I would scuff up the original finish, spray a nitro primer then my nitro color and clear, thinly, then wet sand the wear spots in, makings sure that all layers are represented. That would make it more convincing (alot of old Fenders that are now relics have a burst undercoat - if a burst guitar's finish wasnt up to snuff they would just scuff it and paint it solid).

• 1 year later...

Im going to be relicing a epiphone les paul black beauty....

what can I do to speed up the aging and rusting process on the hardware, and is it safe to use the same techniques you guys ahve been describing considering there is a plastic binding around the edges and other hints that I can use since I cant take the neck off ?

any other hints tips for this style of guitar?