Fill Me In

So on my 2 hollow bodies, they share a similar problem.

the fender acoustic i have, there seems to make strange noise sorta like a metal click or metalliac pluckish sound on some of the frets on or near the 12, for example, the top e string it clicks and dies on 9 but not on 10 or 8.....strange

and on the b string it makes a metallic chink on 12 but not on 11 or 13.....strange...

on my spanish nylon strung, same exact problem

the only problems i can think of is truss rod adjustment? or a crappy saddle? or uneven fret level?......thats all i can predict tell me if im right and stuff...thanks

p.s the fret levels dont apear to have anything wrong with it

On the Fender, were the string dies o fret 9 nut not on 8 and 10, I am almost possitive that you require a fret level job.

What makes you thinkthat it isn't the frets (only curious)?

well i do not suspect its fret level for 2 reasons, i put a straight edge on the frets and did not encounter any sort of rocking motionand i stry slipping the with of a paper under the straight edge to check of it slips under to see if a fret was undersized......the paper did not slip under

the second reasons is, the top e string plunks on 9 but ever single string on 9 does not, and the b,g,and d on 12 but not the 2 E's and A

but maybe, i found a strange discovery aswell, maybe this might help, when i play the high e on fret 9 it plunsk but if i bend it just a half step it sounds perfectly clear and nice

so swedish luthier this is my strange delema, if i had to make a guiess, its that my saddle is old and tired of heavy use becuase there are grooves in it where the strings lie, i will have a saddle job done, and ill tell you how it goes, but if it doesent require a saddle job, please speak up so i dont have to through in the money

thanks.

Wait, you laid a straightedge down on the frets while the guitar was strung up and it makes solid contact along its entire length? You also know that you check for high spots with shorter lengths, and you checked this under each and every string? Have you got any relief on this neck at all?

Also, paper? Not that thin. You're looking for light.

the second reasons is, the top e string plunks on 9 but ever single string on 9 does not, and the b,g,and d on 12 but not the 2 E's and A

but maybe, i found a strange discovery aswell, maybe this might help, when i play the high e on fret 9 it plunsk but if i bend it just a half step it sounds perfectly clear and nice

Everything you say makes me more convinced about the need for a fret job. I have done a lot of refrets and fret jobs (for some time I used to run a semi pro guitar shop) and the symptoms you have are typical for uneven frets. If you are to use the “rocker” method, you need a straight edge that only touches three frets at a time. And it has to be thinner than the string-to-fret contact area. If not it might ride outside the worn area. Without the guitar in hand I cannot be sure, but pls consider a fret job.

i will have a saddle job done, and ill tell you how it goes, but if it doesent require a saddle job, please speak up so i dont have to through in the money

Sound like you are taking the guitar to a pro shop anyway. So if they are only a tiny bit serious, they can tell you what the problem is and recommend the correct thing to do.

EDIT: Just one thing that crossed my mind. If you havn't done it already you should put on new stings. You'd be amazed if you saw what old, worn, kinked strings can do.

well swedish luthier, i have put brand new strings on the spanish guitar but same problem, but refret job......concerns me becuase if done diffrent my gutiar wont feel the same ever again but if done precise then it would cost me lots of money......but ill consider it

ill take it to a pro and find out the problem, ill pm you if your still interested...thanks for your help

Sorry if I have confused you .When I wrote fret job I meant a fret dress, not a refret. It is a much smaller job, and it makes shure all of your frets are level. Your guitars should feel almost the same after a good fret dress job.

But as I said earlier, a serious pro shop will be able to tell you what the problem is.

Good luck