Celestion Rocket 50s

xtjdx

Anyone had any experience with these speakers?

I just picked up 4 at Guitar Center for $120 even. So far, they sound great. They feel about twice as loud as the Sheffields I had in there (probably because they are almost twice as powerful. Sheffields were 30 watts, these are 50). Usually my master volume is up at around halfway. I tested the cab out tonight with my levels there and got a huge surprise when it nearly blew my house down. Seriously, these things are killer. And for $30 each, you can't go wrong. I'm going to make another cab from my Sheffields and have a full stack. It'll be the loudest thing I've ever owned.

If you're looking for some inexpensive speakers with great tone, go pick a set up right now!!! The guy at GC said that they are selling like crazy and that they're going to be gone pretty soon, so hurryyyyyyyyy!

(probably because they are almost twice as powerful. Sheffields were 30 watts, these are 50)

What that means is the speakers max input wattage is 50 insted of 30. This has nothing to do with how loud they are. What matters is the speakers sensitivity. If you'll look on celestions website under specs you'll see that the rocket 50 has a sensitivity rating of 95db. For comparason purpses the G12 Century has a rating of 102db, making it much more than twice as loud as the rocket 50 (every 3db is twice the perceived volume). If you loaded the cab up with G12 Century speakers it would be twice as loud.

But there are MANY other factors you have to look at. Read this topic and maybe you'll have a better understanding of why it's louder now than before.

Edited by Godin SD

Hm, that's a pretty interesting read. Speakers have always confused but that seems to have cleared some stuff up. However, I have a question for you. Since I have those Sheffields sitting around, I was going to build another cab today. My question is, how would I get that cab to run at 8 ohms? The four Sheffields are all 16 ohms. From what I understand about speaker wiring, the setup would be like this.

+_______+16_______+16

|		 |

-_________|_________|

+_______+16_______+16

|		 |

-_________|_________|

Except mono. Which brings me to another question. If that setup is correct for what I'm trying to do, how would I make it mono? Would it just be linking all four up like so:

+_______+16_______+16_______+16_______+16

|		 |		 |		 |

-_________|_________|_________|_________|

?

Then again I still have a lot to learn about impedances and parallel/series wiring, so this setup is probably wrong.

Sorry, you can only get either 4 or 16 ohms with 4 x 16 ohm speakers:

1. Series/parallel wiring - wire two speakers in series, do the same with the other pair, then wire the pairs in parallel to give you a 16 ohm mono cab.

2. Your second diagram (4 x 16 ohm in parallel) will give you a 4 ohm mono cab.

You need 4 x 8 ohm speakers wired series/parallel to get an 8 ohm mono cabinet.

Mike

PS - when you're ready for a "real" speaker :D give the Celestion (Classic) G12H-30 a listen... 4x the price but really nice vintage tone and great sensitivity. The new Heritage G12H is even better, if you've got the coin for it :D

Arg, I have a lot of reading up to do on this. I know for sure that I can do a 2x12 cab at 8 ohms, so I'm just going to do two of those and me and my other guitarist will at least have a bit of gain in volume. Thanks for the eye opener, could have screwed up some speakers pretty easily.

Well, I've got a Line 6 Flextone II HD. I used the cab's new setup last night at band practice and there was a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference. My other guitarist was a little confused at how my amp was so much louder than his. I'd say that the volume increase is at least double, and the tone improvement is leaps and bounds beyond what I expected. As soon as I can afford it, I plan on going with a quality tube amp.

But for now, I'm running the Rocket 50s in that cab at 8 ohms. I'm working on a cab that's going to house two of the 16 ohm speakers I took out. Wired in parallel, that would give me an 8 ohm load. And then daisy chaining these cabs, I would have a 4 ohm load, right?