Removing Superglue From Fretboard

Cut it, scrape it, and / or sand it down as much as possible without disturbing the surrounding area. Then a quick, firm rubbing with a rag wetted with a very small amount of acetone. Acetone IS very volatile and will pretty much dissolve almost anything of a plastic nature. Its ok to use it, in small amounts and for a short time period, on a fully cured surface but if left for longer than necessary it WILL start to eat into the finish. So be extra careful around epoxied inlays, and your paintjob.

Edited by Southpa

Cut it, scrape it, and / or sand it down as much as possible without disturbing the surrounding area. Then a quick, firm rubbing with a rag wetted with a very small amount of acetone. Acetone IS very volatile and will pretty much dissolve almost anything of a plastic nature. Its ok to use it on a fully cured surface but if left for longer than necessary it WILL start to eat into the finish. So be extra careful around epoxied inlays, and your paintjob.

What about superglue remover, is it as hazardous as Acetone;ie., volatile to the plastic binding and a bad thing to let any soak into the rosewood ?

Never heard of Superglue Remover, is that a product name? A razor blade is a good superglue remover too. :D Nail polish remover is pretty much the same as acetone. Use the word "soak" very conservatively when working with these solvents. You only want to concentrate on what you want to remove, so precision and care is required. I use 2 clean rags, torn up t-shirts are good. I stretch the rag over my index finger, dip into the acetone, should be wearing latex gloves, btw. (Not vinyl, they get eaten!) then hold the end of my finger onto the glue spot. Let it soak in a little to soften then rub, repeat as needed. Use the other clean rag to wipe off excesses as you work.

Is acetone really that harmful.... i mean, I doubt they'd use it as nail-polish remover if it were. Cause I have some nail-polish remover I bought that IS 100% acetone, NOTHING else. I bought that cause I didn't want a huge jug of acetone like what homedepot sells. Either way, I use it to wash my hands with when I get superglue on them and as of yet have had NO problems... and I often have cuts and scraps etc. on my hands from working, etc.

Chris

http://allergies.about.com/library/chem/blchem-acetone8.htm

I'm too old to mess around any more. I used to use it as a hand cleaner too! But nasty things DO accumulate in your body over the years. As a result, I try to avoid any skin exposure to chemicals more often, regardless of what they say. And its just as well because I paint houses for a living. If I'm using an alkyd (oil based) paint then I wear latex gloves to avoid having to wash my hands in solvent. But I usually have some hand cleaner around. I was working at a boat builder and quit when they started spraying the top coat. The place was badly ventilated and there was polyurethane resin paint misting around in the air. The stuff is loaded with carcinogenic "isocyanates" and no filter will stop it.

Edited by Southpa

Never heard of Superglue Remover, is that a product name? A razor blade is a good superglue remover too. :D Nail polish remover is pretty much the same as acetone. Use the word "soak" very conservatively when working with these solvents. You only want to concentrate on what you want to remove, so precision and care is required. I use 2 clean rags, torn up t-shirts are good. I stretch the rag over my index finger, dip into the acetone, should be wearing latex gloves, btw. (Not vinyl, they get eaten!) then hold the end of my finger onto the glue spot. Let it soak in a little to soften then rub, repeat as needed. Use the other clean rag to wipe off excesses as you work.

Duro makes "Super Glue Remover" pretty strong stuff so I've read but have never used before. Product description states it removes all types of Cyanoacrylate {did I spell that right} based "Super glues."