Carved Top

daveq

I've been looking around at various manufacturers to see how they handle the arm rest on maple top guitars. It looks like PRS uses a very thick maple top and they just carve it to about 1/4"? at the sides. Others use a paper thin veneer and just carve the arm rest like a normal solid body. Lastly, some just don't put the arm rest in (Peavey Wolfgang, some Jacksons,...) and leave it flat.

I don't like the feel of a guitar that has no provision for the arm rest area. I have a 3/8" thick top I'm planning on using - do you think that's thick enough to get a good arm rest curve?

I noticed that the guitars that have real maple tops don't seem to ever go very thin where it meets the back piece (usually 1/4" or more). Is there a reason why you can't go to something like 1/8"? I realize you will lose the figuring if you go too thin, but I'd think that 1/8" should still be OK, right?

Anyone have experience doing something like this?

Keep in mind, also, that a thicker maple top will add brightness to whatever wood you're using for the bulk of the body. Thin veneers don't add anything, but you'll notice a difference in tone starting at about 1/4 to 3/8". It all depends on what sound you're after.

A distinct advantage to thicker tops is that, if you make a finishing mistake, you can sand back down to wood and start all over.

I 'd recommend using a Clothes Iron. Glue the top to the flat part first then use the iron to steam the part that goes over the contour and tighten it up with as many clamps as you can fit there.

Also make sure that the contour is a gradual bend and not a sharp angle where it starts or you'll risk cracking the top if you tighten it up too fast