Freakin Annoying

I'm about at the end of my rope here. I'm going insane :D:D

I'm having problems refinishing my wenge guitar. I've been trying for a long time now with no luck.

My problem is I can't seem to get all the grain filled. No matter how many coats of grain filler I apply and how many coats of sealer I apply I can't seem to get all the grain filled.

I finally got it very close but when scuff sanding a coat of sealer I broke through to the next coat and made a "witness line"

I'm about to throw this thing out the window.

I'm using stewmacs water based finish. Shouldldn't the sealer burn in? Why am I getting witness lines when I sand through one coat?

Any ideas on how to get out of my situation?

Give me some step by step instructions to get out of here. I have no idea what to do. I've exhausted all my mind and I've still not been able to finish this thing correctly.

I don't have this problem with mahogany or any other grain fill needing wood. Fills up just fine. I'm thinking I'll just finish it in oil and move on (sigh)

Edited by Godin SD

All I can say is use epoxy, I got Stew Macs grain filler too and I used it once... no more!!! Epoxy goes faster, easier to squeeze on the guitar, and harder so no shrinkage. If you are going with the natural wenge color get the clear pore filler, if not to accent you can get the black one or dye the clear with color tone stains. Heck, I would use the black one and sand very carefully just to expose the wenge, then clear it. I won't be using sanding sealer on the next one, I think that the nitro cures harder without it, there is a bit more sanding involved, but I'm willing to do if the finish is better.