Converting Measurements

dayvo

Hey guys

I need to pick your collective brains :D

Im building a Les Paul and I need to drill the holes for the bridge and tailpiece

The measurement accross the posts of each are: .436 and .444 of an inch respectively

Im used to working in metric, and worked out I need an 11mm bit to do the job using this

The trouble is I cant find a brad point here in Oz in that size (10mm or 12mm only)

So, can you guys advise me on what size you use and/or what size I need? (in your measurements - fractions of an inch) not decimal

Im not too clued up with Imperial measurements B)

Also while Im on the subject, do any of you know of a Length Conversion Calculator that I can download that has sizes in "a fraction of an inch" as well as "decimal"and converts to metric?

If there is something available, it may be an invalueable tool also to others who read this post and have trouble converting

Any advice would be appreciated

dayvo :D

you're not likely to find fractional metric brad point bits; I tend to pre-drill with a 3 or 4 mm brad point, to center everything, and use a SHARP (brand new, good quality, reserve it for this kind of thing ONLY) twist bit, available in .1mm increments from most decent places. Requires more careful placement, but it does self-center quite well on a drilled guide-hole.

As for conversions...why the heck would you need a calculator? Divide out the fraction, add the whole number, multiply by 25.4 and you've got it all in mm. (i.e., 24 3/4" = 3/4 -> .75 + 24 = 24.75 multiply by 25.4 for mm).

This said, my bi-measure rule (imperial one side, metric the other) has a handy dandy conversion table for common fractional inches etched into the back. You get used to figuring out most imperial stuff the more you use it, though...

The measurement accross the posts of each are: .436 and .444 of an inch respectively

Are you saying the diameter of your posts are .436 and .444? If you are the closest thing in inch measurement is 7/16, which is .4375. You should be able to find a 7/16 brad point bit no problem. I would drill a test hole first because your posts seem to be couple of thousandths too small. Probably won't be a problem, but the test hole can't hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you saying the diameter of your posts are .436 and .444? If you are the closest thing in inch measurement is 7/16, which is .4375. You should be able to find a 7/16 brad point bit no problem. I would drill a test hole first because your posts seem to be couple of thousandths too small. Probably won't be a problem, but the test hole can't hurt.

Finding 7/16 bits outside of the US might actually be a problem...

Dayvo- try bunnings I've found some brad point bits there wich where imperial...

on a sidenote?...didn't the US officially convert to the metric system in like the 70's...what's taking so long??

Edited by aidlook

Did you know you can just type stuff like "3/16 inches in mm" into google and it converts for you?

Also has other things like the speed of light and the radius of earth.

on a sidenote?...didn't the US officially convert to the metric system in like the 70's...what's taking so long??

If they did the process is taking an awfully long time. I'm currently stuck out on an offshore oil rig where just about every measurement known to man gets used at one time or other. Drill pipe in metres, drilling mud in barrels, pump flowrates in gallons per minute and helifuel in pounds.

Cheers Martin

If they did the process is taking an awfully long time. I'm currently stuck out on an offshore oil rig where just about every measurement known to man gets used at one time or other. Drill pipe in metres, drilling mud in barrels, pump flowrates in gallons per minute and helifuel in pounds.

Cheers Martin

Yep. The world is all messed up. Most idiotic thing I've seen recently: catheters (wires for angiographies, futzing about inside blood vessels at various points), specifically for cardiology, labelled as such:

Diamter: .014"

Length : 190cm

On one package. Made in Sweden.

I kid you not.

Yep. The world is all messed up. Most idiotic thing I've seen recently: catheters (wires for angiographies, futzing about inside blood vessels at various points), specifically for cardiology, labelled as such:

Diamter: .014"

Length : 190cm

On one package. Made in Sweden.

I kid you not.

That gives me great faith in the medical world!