Volume/tone Pot Relationship Questions...

Chad

If you have a 500K volume pot and a 500K tone control and have both set at 10, is this the same as having a 250K volume pot on 10 by itself?

Doesn't the volume pot affect the amplitude of the entire frequency range of the pickup while the tone pot only affects the amplitude of the frequencies being filtered to ground by the tone cap?

With regard to my first question, it is my guess that a single 250K volume pot would sound similar, but not exact. The frequencies not affected by the tone cap would be at a higher amplitude in the 500K volume and tone pot situation, correct?

It would be interesting to see frequency response curves for those kind of comparisons. Does something like that exist on the internet? Link?

well the whole resistance to ground thing is going to be the kicker but regardless of your resistance when you measure the circuit you will get really close to what your pickup is. but depending on how you wire it will affect the loading of the pickup. if you set it up stock with the vol running a cap to the tone control will soudn one way and turning it down ie the volume will yield different results but i guess one would really need to ask if this general knowledge or do you have a specific question.

personally i have been playing with a few things.

1. making my tone pot a blend pot. putting smaller caps that feed the guitar signal to the output through them unless you roll off the tone which will give you straight signal with some antenuation. this way you set up your amp based around say 60% tone ie more towards the treble side so you have effectively made a balance control. if you roll off the tone then you get the full sound but antenuated if you turn it all the way up you will get 90% treble but still keep the bass. this also makes an interesting combo on a lespaul.

the other thing i do is some cheap strat pickups sound better on 500k pots. which i guess is why almost all cheap strats [non american ] come with them at least ont he volume anyway. but i noticed the original white jem's had 250k's in them and then later vai switched to 500k's like all hte other ones.

i started dabbling. i used push pulls and toggles switches so that i can switch the resistance of the pot. i either use 1M or 500k on everytyihg.

if i use 500k push pulls i will use the push pull to select normal ie 500kor mod 250k via a 500k resistor. i do this with the tones as well.

on a few of my guitars i have done a couple of differnet mods. i put a 1M as a volume and for the neck its brilliant creamy but still has bite and definition but for the bridge [whcih is already bright and has plenty of definition being active] i put in a resitor there to drop it down. seing as i nver use the two togeterh. [actually i do but thats a nother argulment] it works out great.

also putting filter in the ground circuits of the pickups is great too.

ok late now.

ciao

e

d

Since:

1. The resistance placed across a pickup primarily affects the height and width of the resonant peak (2.5 - 10 KHZ)

2. The tone capacitor has a much smaller impedance at the resonant peak than the tone pot,

yes, the parallel combination of the resistances of the two pots (250K) is what is effectively loading the pickup when both are on 10

If you have a 500K volume pot and a 500K tone control and have both set at 10, is this the same as having a 250K volume pot on 10 by itself?

yes, the parallel combination of the resistances of the two pots (250K) is what is effectively loading the pickup when both are on 10

Hmmm... I hadn't considered this since I've always had a tone pot, but my new build will have volume only.

So, are you saying that a 500K volume by itself will load the pickup differently than a 500K volume + 500K tone? Should I use a 250K volume to get an equivalent loading?

You could, but some people leave out the tone and do change the resistance of the volume pot in order to get a somewhat brighter sound. Some people use a tone pot, but use a "no load" pot which goes off the end of the resistance track at ten.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered this since I've always had a tone pot, but my new build will have volume only.

So, are you saying that a 500K volume by itself will load the pickup differently than a 500K volume + 500K tone? Should I use a 250K volume to get an equivalent loading?

Yeah, with a no-load tone pot turned all the way up, it's pretty much like having only a volume control (the tone pot is completely out of the circuit), correct?

That is right; the no load pot is a way of having a tone control, but not allowing it to affect the brightness of the guitar when it is turned to 10. Seems like a good deal if you want the extra brightness.