Tone Control To Cut Bass?

canada2113

ok, now for the hard part, can a knob be made that cuts the bass when turned from 5-0 and cuts the treble from 5-10, so when the knob is at 5 the tone is normal, no cut at all, at 0 there is a bass cut and at 10 a treble cut?

You could wire a 1 MEG linear pot with a cap to ground on one terminal and an inductor to ground on the opposite terminal with the middle pot terminal connected to the output jack or volume control. Probably should use a center detent style pot.

ok, now for the hard part, can a knob be made that cuts the bass when turned from 5-0 and cuts the treble from 5-10, so when the knob is at 5 the tone is normal, no cut at all, at 0 there is a bass cut and at 10 a treble cut?

I did this up last year and I am using it as a master tone control in my strat. I've posted it other places and it has gotten good feedback from others that have implemented it. One person even used it as the tone control in his tweed deluxe clone. Go figure!

It works backward from what you are asking for - primarily due to how the TBX pot is constructed. But to me it seems more consistent with how a normal tone control would work - cutting treble counterclockwise.

tbx-rewire.gif

Remember to remove the tone killing resistor from the TBX. And notice that the signal has to run through this network - not just hang off the volume control like a tone control.

A .0033 and the stock .022 worked well for me.

• 7 months later...

I suppose in theory you could break connection that goes from lug 2 of the bottom part of the tbx to lug 2 of the top park and send it to a switch?

I'm thinking about doing an Esquire type switching idea to give me:

1) Volume control only - tone pot bypassed

2) Volume control and tone engaged - Treble Cut

3) Volume control and tone engaged - Bass Cut

I've got a spare TBX lying around that I could use for this and it would be nice to find a use for the 3way - I don't find the "bassy" tone option particularly inspiring - I hate preset tones.

If anybody thinks I'm barking for suggesting this then let me know :o)