Acrylic Lacqer

Old school: Nitrocellulose laquer

middle school ( hehe): Acrylic laquer

New school: Polys

Yes, it can, and has been done, many times over, with acrylic (automotive paint). Depending on who you talk to, you will get different preferences, though. For durability, go poly, so long as you pay someone, or have the proper equipment, facilities, and personal protection (VERY IMPORTANT!). Otherwise, go nitro or acrylic. They WILL take a considerable amount of cure time, and don't play well with the faom padding on most guitar stands, though.

Sorry if I just flooded you. Just trying to get out, off the top of my head, as much as I can. Hope this helps.

There's nothing wrong with acrylic lacquer per se; it shoots easily, is very forgiving, covers well and won't yellow. It skins over very quickly, but the cure time is dependant upon several variables: how may coats,

how much time between coats, temperature and humidity at time of spraying and while drying. The upside of acrylics is that you can lay on an insane amount of paint before you get runs, and its very hard to make it blush or "pinhole". The downside is the same as nitro; you have to have a huge amount of patience while the stuff cures to the point of practical hardness, and it will suffer the same durability and longevity shortcomings of nitro. I just shot the last coats of acrylic clear on a bass body tonight, I'm probably looking

at assembling the guitar late this summer or early this fall. Next time I refinish a guitar, I'm going over to

my buddy's body shop and shooting catalyzed poly. It's easier, faster, and is way more durable.

Good luck.

also, how long does it take for acylic laquer to dry?

Well, if you go by the 'sniff test', it takes about a month for the smell of the solvents to go away --at which point you can sand and polish it. Might be longer, might be less, depends on conditions. So yeah, it helps to be patient. And you should have a second guitar to play while you're waiting.

But it's still pretty fragile stuff, or you have to put an insane amount on in order to keep the guitar looking ever new n' shiny.

On the other hand, if you liked the reliced look, it's great for that --seems I put a new ding in my guitar every time I look at it :D

For the next guitar (not the bass I'm building) I'm going to look for a auto body shop to do the clear coat for me ---it'll be more durable, it'll cure more quickly and it will actually cost me less.

On the other hand, I'm planning on using acrylic clear as a sealer --don't know if that will work, but I'm going to start a new topic about that.

• 2 weeks later...

i am at the stage of panting the guitar i have built. i was planning on useing acrylic laquer because its readily evalable. is it good or bad to use on a guitar. i used the search feature but i didnt get any info on it.

Acrylic Lacquer is great expect Dupli-Color clear. The stuff may take 1 year or more to cure enough so that jeans don't leave an imprint in the finish. Stay away from Dupli-Color clear.

Colours seem to be fine tough.

:D

how long should i wait before colorsanding and buffing teh acrylic lacquer

Takes a few weeks --basically when you can't smell any more solvent fumes coming out of the pickup cavities -- that's about 3-5 weeks, depending on where you are, temperature, etc. No point in rushing, just put it in a closet and play your other guitar in the meantime.