Acrylic Clear (rattle Can) As Sealer?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the acrylic clear (automotive rattle can stuff) as a sanding sealer?

I don't like the only sealers I've been able to find here --both are brush on, and neither seems to get me the look I want.

I'm thinking that with a spray can, I'll get better coverage. I'm pretty sure I read about someone using that here, but my search didn't turn it up...

I'm still new to this so don't get a few other opinions also, but I have read a lot where guys will just use laquer and skip the sanding sealer. Most sanding sealer is a little softer and has a higher solids content though. It is meant to develop a protective coating quickly.

Aren't sanding sealers clear shellac or nitro? These should be brush or wipe-on, doing this with an aerosol seemas wasteful and expensive, although it should do a similar thing, which is basically to go into the wood pores and set off so the wood does not act like a sponge when the paint is applied.

You shouldn't have problems if you grain fill the body.

The problem I'm having is that I can't find a decent grain filler --I've tried two types that I've found here, both were brush on, neither gave me great results --partly because I don't think they mixed well with the acrylic rattlecan paints I used after.

So what I'm thinking is using acrylic finish as the grain filler/sealer, then primer and paint. (For the final clearcoat, I'm going to look for a body shop).

Think I'll test it on scrap this weekend...

I'd stay away from using lacquer like that, it's soft enough to begin with. Building thicker coats it'll never dry, especially rattle can stuff. Have you tried using epoxy for grainfiller? I use it to fill more porous woods like mahogany, and it fills in great, dries fast and hard. All you gotta do is sand it flat and start painting over it.