Playing Guitar Through Bass Effects

madcow

hello,

i was wondering what the difference is between guitar pedals and bass pedals. Is it just that bass pedals are built for lower frequencies?

Also, what would happen if you played a guitar through, say a bass synth pedal or something like that?

thanks

Pretty much just the different frequencies as far as I know. I play guitar through a Boss Bass Overdrive (waaaay more than just an overdrive though, trust me) and I actually prefer its tone to my BigMuff. My bass wah also sounds pretty good on guitar.

My only experience is with the opposite-- a bass through guitar effects. The only thing I really have to add is that on Danelectro Auto Wah pedals, there's actually a Hi/Low switch, depending on whether you're using it for guitar or bass. A bass played through the "Hi" setting loses its bottom end, and just ends up with a wah-ish clicking noise; on the "Low" setting, the full tone comes through and sounds great.

I've played my bass through a variety of guitar effects, and it's sounded fine. My only experience with a bass effects pedal was a little Boss number, and it didn't sound particularly good even with my bass, so I really can't comment on how it'd be with a guitar.

My advice? Get down to your local Guitar Center and try out as many pedals, guitar or bass, that you can find.