Good Wood, Fair Prices.

I've had some good luck purchasing wood from one of the members of this board (SoundAt11). I just recieved some nice African mahogany for my neck through project. I bought a neck blank from Carvin. It's mahogany with a black ebony fret board. Will (SoundAt11) set me up with a couple pieces cut to size from his wood stash so I'm off and running. This one will be an all black carved double cut with gold hard ware. Going with a Schaller hard tail roller bridge and Schaller tuners. I got Bill Lawrence pickups ordered also. Should be nice when its all done. Dave

I've had some good luck purchasing wood from one of the members of this board (SoundAt11). I just recieved some nice African mahogany for my neck through project. I bought a neck blank from Carvin. It's mahogany with a black ebony fret board. Will (SoundAt11) set me up with a couple pieces cut to size from his wood stash so I'm off and running. This one will be an all black carved double cut with gold hard ware. Going with a Schaller hard tail roller bridge and Schaller tuners. I got Bill Lawrence pickups ordered also. Should be nice when its all done. Dave

sounds like a great project..i've used both the schaller tuners and roller bridge on most of my guitars and they are top quality. if you haven't used the bill lawrence pickups yet you're in for a treat there as well.

good luck with it.

I just received some wood from the Sound At 11 guy as well. Great stuff. (One piece Mahogany body blank) Price was good too. Looks beautiful. Bought it over eBay, and I've been wary about purchasing wood from eBay; but took a chance when I saw he was a member here. Stuff looks even better than this picture.

Wish I could be working on it now, but the package came just as I was getting ready to go to work this evening. (This is the bummer about night shifts; the mailman comes just as I'm about to head to work and I spend all evening here thinking about all the cool stuff I got in the mail and can't be playing with right now.)

Awesome! How can I find his Items? Just so I know in the future, I'm thinking about going with a mahogany body over an alder one in my next project, partly for looks partly because I'm curious to see what will happen tonewise with a maple bolt on neck and a mahogany body.

I've heard good things about that combo from people that own guitars like that and I know the JS signature uses basswood which some have decribed as not being terribly different than mahogany.

I'm curious to see what will happen tonewise with a maple bolt on neck and a mahogany body.

play an rg321

I know the JS signature uses basswood which some have decribed as not being terribly different than mahogany.

BWAHAHAHA man, i seriously doubt you won't catch crap for that, i personally like basswood but there are members here who militantly hate basswood

Mahogany/Basswod=Apples/Oranges. Nice woods but very different in most respects.

Good to hear you like the wood. It is cool that he is helping guys to get nice wood for building at fair prices. Keep up the good work Will.

Good luck with the build. Keep us posted on your progress.

Peace,Rich

I meant that more tone-wise, I know basswood and mahogany are NOT similar in texture or appearance. If I'm mistaken about the tone-aspect please excuse me. I have not been able to compare a Basswood guitar VS a mahogany guitar as of yet. I'm pretty sure I don't want basswood though, I really like how tung-oiled mahogany looks.

Awesome! How can I find his Items? Just so I know in the future, I'm thinking about going with a mahogany body over an alder one in my next project, partly for looks partly because I'm curious to see what will happen tonewise with a maple bolt on neck and a mahogany body.

You could do a search here for "SoundAt11" and then PM him. He also has a Ebay store (also uses SoundAt11 for a user name on Ebay). He has alot more wood then whats listed at Ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

You could do a search here for "SoundAt11" and then PM him. He also has a Ebay store (also uses SoundAt11 for a user name on Ebay). He has alot more wood then whats listed at Ebay.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you guys liked the lumber:-)

Here's my Ebay Store address:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sound-At-11?refid=store

I tend to keep the quick selling items (all mahogany and some limba) in my 7-day listings, as they get bought quickly. Some of the slower selling items (ie maple, purpleheart, walnut, some limba, hide glue) stays in the store where it stays until sold (less work). If anyone has a "custom" request, I can always place it in the Store.

I do have TONS, (litterally a few tons) of uncut lumber at any given point, so there's always some for odd sizes or specific requests. I've got a lot "scraps" to, ie blocks and strips of various pieces of wood, so if anyone ever needs a odd sized smaller pieces, I can probably do that to.

Dave, good choice on the Carvin neck. How hard (or expensive) was it to get the Mahogany/Ebony neck from them? I bought one of their standard Maple/Ebony neck-thru blanks for my PRS-alike project and would like to buy another one for the LP/Tele project, but I wasn't sure if they did custom requests or not.

cheers,

Will

So you have some oddball pieces and things?

Would you happen to have some special bits of maple and mahogany?

I need some mahogany and maple strips for a laminated thru neck, about 40" long pieces 1/2 and inch wide (because I want to taper them) and about 2 inches deep.

I also need two mahogany peices about 6 inches wide 2 inches deep and about 22 inches long(body wings). I need the stuff a bit oversized just in case I change my design slightly once I see the wood, I'd like to get the wings from the same board at least for some color consistency.

If you want to e-mail me about it instead of posting it here thats fine, my e-mail is firefox2551@yahoo.com

Thank so much! Josiah.