Sneek-Peek at Next Project

Drak

Hey All.

Boy has this been a productive period for me lately.

I've never pumped out this many guitars this fast before, but I used to start a lot of 'em all at once and never do the followups, I've has as many as 16 on-going guitars all at once...retarded maybe, but with the best intentions!

I swore I was going to stop all new projects (and I have indeed done that, that's probably why I'm getting things done now) until the backlog had been finished, and these ones lately are the ones that have been sitting around in various states of dress...some for several years...

Anyhoo, I built this one specifically to harbor a set of Lace Sensor Hot Gold pkps.

Thanks to the great weather the past few days, I was able to shoot the final coats on it yesterday. Now the agonizing wait for the final cure (6 weeks)

I didn't route for any bridge because I could NOT decide what bridge I was going to use, but I just decided tonight... it's going to be another gold FLOYD! :D

Body is Honduran Mahogony, totally chambered on both sides, w/ Big Leaf Maple caps on body and headstock.

Neck is standard issue Carvin with some slight mods, not much.

I'll route the Floyd in by the weekend.

This Was The First Draft Look

Finished Body Shot (less bridge route)

Headstock Shot

Close-Up 'Burst Shot

Thanks Ca-!

Well, I buy it wherever I can find it these days!

But the last three guitars I've posted here, all the wood came from my local guy, but they were all started years ago, he doesn't carry quite the same 'creme de la creme' wood as he used to, which is one reason I started shopping the 'net for woods. When I first started and for several years, I got 100% of everything I built from him. Those were the days...

He used to get Coco-Bolo shipments in, heck, about 3-4 times a year.

I bet he hasn't gotten a C-B delivery in a year or better, just to give you an example of how things changed there.

He had so much Honduran Mahogony it would make you throw up. He'd keep 15-20 boards, all 2" thick, some up to 4" thick, most were wide enough to get a 1-piece out of, all about 20-30 feet long, at all times.

I haven't seen more than one or two big boards of HM thereat a time in, I swear, 2 years now.

He used to have tons and tons of burls, all gone years ago.

...But you should see my wood box! I bought while the gettin' was good, I'm stocked up for awile to come anyway...No real gross amounts, but I've still got some good fat pieces I bought back then, when I could hand-pick and be very choosy...

One thing that happened was he used to get his stellar Maple from David Boreck who ran Maple Specialties out of Washington State. That guy had the wildest Maple out there in circulation, then HE closed up his shop years ago.

Most of my quilted Maple (this top included) came from Boreck's operation. I was lucky to be there at that time I was I guess. Never had to pay a dime for shipping!