How Do They Do Dat?

unclej

i took in a nice crate acoustic amp yesterday on consignment..while i was checking it out i noticed that it had several built in effects including delay, slap, chorus, etc. no overdrive. anyway, it's done with a dial and not a switch. and the dial doesn't have positive stops..it's just like a potentiometer in feel. any idea how this is accomplished?

my geuss would be that it uses digital ic's (intergrated circuits) like logic gates so when r=250 effect=phaser or whatever, thats just a guess though

thanks everyone..when i get some time i may call crate and see if i can find out for sure..it's really got me curious now.

TenderSurrender this is just one knob with nine different effects or settings and it flows smoothly from one to the next without any positive stops like you would with a regular rotary switch. anyway, i'll find out when i can and let everyone know.

Those are called rotary encoder switches and they put out a pulse that a chip reads, counts and switches to the next effect up or down depending on what direction you turn it. Very cool once you get used to them. Lots of mixers use them for effect selection and screen jogging. Kinda like a one-direction mouse.

Encoders ROCK!!! :D

Those are called rotary encoder switches and they put out a pulse that a chip reads, counts and switches to the next effect up or down depending on what direction you turn it. Very cool once you get used to them. Lots of mixers use them for effect selection and screen jogging. Kinda like a one-direction mouse.

Encoders ROCK!!! :D

thanks..that makes sense..so it is like a potentiometer and as the output increases from the low end the chip reads it and kicks in a different effect..cool..i'm happy now. :D

Well, no. It puts out two digital high-low signals in a format called quadrature that makes a chip (decade or cascade counter) count up or down. All ones and zeros again. In case you were wondering, it is a very cheap way to make a complex switch arrangement. Very flexible.

Ones and zeros ROCK!!! :D

Edited by gripper