Starting To Build My First Neck

I am about to start building my first neck this weekend, but before I begin I have a question. It will be a limba neck with a BE Maple fretboard (pic included). The limba is slightly thicker than 3/4" it is closer to 7/8". Thus do I have to plane it to 3/4" or can I take care of the excess when shaping the neck? Could I just make the neck pocket (Tele guitar) a hair deeper to handle the thicker base?

I assume it is better to plane it, but I do not have easy access to the equipment

Bill

neck0054lo.jpg

If you have a drill press you might consider buying a Safe-T-Planer. It works good. You can definitely take it down when shaping though. If you have a bandsaw that's setup properly you can actually cut the back of the neck to get it close before spokeshaving, or however your going to shape the neck. Although don't taper the sides first or it will be a lot harder. But you know what, there are a million ways build a neck, just find something that will work for you and make use of the tools you have.

Thanks for the input. I completely forgot about the Safe T Planer. Well the center line has been drawn on the neck blank and the FB is ready to be glued. I plan on routing the truss rod channel today (assuming I have time - 2 1/2 yr old daughter keeps me busy).

IS there any advantage of having the truss rod adjust at the top of the neck versus the body (besides the ease of access)? Also, if I do make it at the top - How far in front of the nut should I stop (position the truss rod)? I do not remember reading this anywhere. (OOPS - LMI suggests about an inch from the nut).

Thanks for the help.

Bill

The advantage of having the nut at the head is that you don't have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. But on a non-angled headstock, like a tele or strat, you have to rout a recess at the base of the head to have access to the nut. You could do the same thing on the body if you wanted the nut at the heel, but depending on pickup placement, it might be awkward.