Waterslide Decal Color

How will i go about prining a waterslide decal that is white? is there a special ink that can print out white?

I want the gothic epiphone logo on the headstock.

Are you putting a white logo on a dark headstock? Very few graphic printers can print white, therefore most designs are based on white material and contour cut by a plotter in a sign shop. If there are areas in between the logo where the color of the headstock needs to be seen, computer cut vinyl graphics like the type used for most signs would work. The shape or logo will cut just as it appears on the screen, providing the artwork is done right. And there would not be a clear border surrounding your decal. You'd be surprised how small a shape can be cut out of adhesive backed vinyl. 2 mil is about he thinnest out there, Every imaginable color is available these days. -Vinny

ALPS made just about the only printer that could print white. They've been out of production for quite a few years now. If you can find someone who has one of those you are in business, if not, use one of the previous suggestions.

George

Screenprint the white logo on the waterslide decal stock. When you spray lacquer topcoats over the decal, spray the first 2 or 3 light so as not to 'bubble up' the screenprinted logo, but enough to melt the decal into the basecoats. The waterslide decal stock is micro-thin lacquer.

All these are good ideas but i just cant find anyone or a facitility to do it.

Im thinking of printing out the black and white logo and just painting over it. I just hope

it doesnt show the depth of the logo.

eplogo.jpg

Another idea, Trophy shops have laser engravers that are used to put names on pvc tags that are adhered to trophys. The material is a multi layered sheet of pcv. (like a pickgaurd on a Gibson) The design is cut into the top color by the lazer to expose the 2nd color under it, usually a contrasting color which is now your name or logo. They keep all the popular color combinations like red & white, blue & white etc. For this job, a sheet of glossy black on white could be lazer engraved with the logo, now white. They would look pretty near perfect, no paint smudges, no drips no goof-ups. The finished FULL oversized veneer would be glued or epoxied to the headstock and edge-routed like a typical veneer. If it will work, maybe have 6 oversize 'veneers' made at once to keep cost down, you can keep the rest for future projects.-Vinny

Edited by Vinny

eeehhh... i think going with a waterslide decal would work more than having a large piece of plastic covering the headstock.

I had an idea! since epiphone is the 'child' of gibson, maybe i could edit the gibson logo to make it look like the epiphone one above by filling in some letter with black!

I am actually doing waterslide graphics on my current soloist project, as we speak. However, MY waterslide paper is of the transparent type, and not the white type, and they are going over a white basecoat. You can buy the waterslide paper, online, clear or white, on Ebay, for that matter, as I did. Cost me about $6 for 5 sheets, and it took me all 5 sheets to get the 2 decals just right, plus another sheet for headstock logos. Even though they are super-thin, you will STILL have a raise in the clearcoat to contend with, whether you sand it out, or just deal with it.

Do you mean something like this?

Peacekeeperneckback.jpg

Peacekeeperpegfaceresize400.jpgPeaceKeeperFullLengthshotresize400.jpg

This is still waterslide inkjet decal paper (www.supercaldecals.com), but you have to use white embossing powder to get the white color to show up. So on the paper, you will barely be able to see the white until you place the decal on the black headstock. You will want to get clear waterslide decal paper, not white.

BTW, the gold is done by embossing powder too.