First Build

started on my first build this weekend. got my neck laminated and glued up. tapered the neck laminates, did it a little differently than Russ' tutorial explained though. tapered them on the table saw. i'll spend the rest of the week drawing on the blank, than cut it up next weekend.

white limba, cocobolo, with wenge in the center.

new0033.jpg

close up of the neck.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/adr...740/new0044.jpg

Edited by adrock1740

dude. how, exactly did you taper them with the table saw? i decided to not taper my laminites because i have far too little luck with routers to do them the way he explains in that tutorial. and tablesaws make things clean and easy. so, out with it. how was it done? maybe i can do that on my next one

ok, i suck at explaining things over the net, ill try my best.

first, we determined that there would be a 3/16 taper over the length of the neck. (37.5" long, 1/2" wide at one end and 5/16" at the other for each laminate). than we got some scrap maple for the taper jig, cut it to 1 3/4" (thickness of the neck), by 2", and 37.5" long, and joined all sides. we than set the joiner to take off between 1/32" and 1/16". a little trick was used that i've never seen done. basically, with the joiner running, dropped the very end of one end of the maple on the outfeed side, than ran the rest of the piece through, keeping firm pressure on the outfeed and infeed sideside. this was repeated about 3-4 times to get the taper. we measured in between each pass until one end of the jig was 3/16" less thick than the other. than we ran the whole piece through to make sure it was straight. so basically, its like Russ' jig, but solid across the length, instead of having to put a support in the middle to support the laminate. we double stick taped the piece for the laminate to the jig, and went to town on the table saw.

like i said, i suck at explaining things over the internet. also, i have to say i cannot recommend this method, as it is not proper use of a joiner. if you choose to do this, i accept no responsibility, and you do so at your own risk.