Satin/gloss

mxer

would it be possible on a slab body instrument(strat, m-ii) to have the top of the body's clearcoat gloss,and the rest ot the guitar(back,sides, and neck) satin? i know the difference is gloss has about 8 coats and get a buff job,were satin only has 3 coats .could you just mask off the sides and buff the top with 3 coats?

finish the whole thing gloss, then create the satin finish from the gloss by wet-rubbing with a fine scotchbrite pad. that gently takes the gloss off without creating hundreds of tiny scratch lines like fine wire wool can do. It gives a really nice satin finish.

finish the whole thing gloss, then create the satin finish from the gloss by wet-rubbing with a fine scotchbrite pad. that gently takes the gloss off without creating hundreds of tiny scratch lines like fine wire wool can do. It gives a really nice satin finish.

thank you! would this take off alot of finish because i like thin (or nitro cellulose) finishes. which is part why i like satin besides the feel and fastness

would it be possible on a slab body instrument(strat, m-ii) to have the top of the body's clearcoat gloss,and the rest ot the guitar(back,sides, and neck) satin? i know the difference is gloss has about 8 coats and get a buff job,were satin only has 3 coats .could you just mask off the sides and buff the top with 3 coats?

I have been using this sanding system called "Micro-Mesh". It is unbeleivable. You start out with 1800 grit and work your way up (a 9 step progression) to 12000 grit. You coud stop at like 6000 or 8000 to get the satin finish. I dont have a link to their website but I bought it at Rockler.com for like $18 US. They are two sided pads with sandpaper on both sides and can be used wet or dry. They can be washed with dish soap to unclog. Great product. I promise :D