Sanding sealers

Brian

I use DEFT lacquer sanding sealer when I have that particular chore working on a body, it's available in both spray and can.

Goes on milky of course and looks terrible untill you hit it with a clear coat then it turns into glass. So far I haven't had any problems with yellowing either.

Anybody else using something different? And whats your results?

• 2 weeks later...
I use DEFT lacquer sanding sealer when I have that particular chore working on a body, it's available in both spray and can.

Goes on milky of course and looks terrible untill you hit it with a clear coat then it turns into glass. So far I haven't had any problems with yellowing either.

Anybody else using something different? And whats your results?

This is going to be a step for me soon. I will need to put a sanding sealer on the body before I apply a finish.

From what you describe, it sounds like I could even use this on the veneer top as well. Is that true?

I was wondering the same thing. I have completed the headstock veneer on my project with quilted maple. It turned out really good...but I must admit it took two tries, the first one slid on me and I didn't catch it soon enough. An hour with an iron and a chisel and about 20 min of sanding got me back to square one. Second time was a winner. It was good to start on a smaller area prior to moving on to the body. I learned a lot by doing it that way.

My veneer is gorgeous but it is pretty rough...great for holding glue....bad for finishing. After I sand it down a little to smooth it out, do I then need a sanding sealer prior to staining? or does that come after staining, or both. I may not stain it at all and leave it natural but I want it to shine like a mother.

The Reranch site covers this area but they start switching around on what you have to do with different varieties of wood and never really give you a step by step process for any one type.

My veneer is gorgeous but it is pretty rough...great for holding glue....bad for finishing. After I sand it down a little to smooth it out, do I then need a sanding sealer prior to staining? or does that come after staining, or both. I may not stain it at all and leave it natural but I want it to shine like a mother.

http://stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_bod...e_guitar01.html

This has been posted before, but it answers both of our questions about staining, then sealing. From StewMac, it looks like stain comes first, then the sealer.