First Time Changing Pickups: What Soldering Iron To Buy?

steve00

I'm going to be changing the pickups in my strat for the first time and I don't know what wattage of soldering iron to buy. I have limited soldering experience but feel comfortable enough to do this. Can anyone tell me what soldering iron to buy? I am buying one specifically for this job, but I would like to get something quality that I will be able to use for future projects. Thanks for your help,

-Steve

10-15watts fairly low wattage, make sure to get a good quality wand stlye soldering iron, before i knew anythingn at all i tried with those huge gun type soldering irons and it destroyed every electronic component it came into contact with.

Go to Sears and pick up a nice little Weller soldering station for around $50. It's a good brand and the tip and stand are all high quality. Sears' rosin-core solder is also pretty good, too. Much better than anything from RadioShack.

If you want something for the ocasional pickup swap you can get by with something of a bit less quality than a good Weller. I went to Sears and picked up a little 25w Craftsman iron and it's held up pretty well. I also do alot more than pickup swaps though, building pedals, rewiring whole guitars, etc. The tip isnt the most durable ever my it still works great.