How To Fix

Hunt down some new latches, drill out the old ones and use a pop rivetter to install the new latches. If the case material isn't strong enough to hold just the rivets then use small backing plates (aluminum or plastic with edges smoothed out) drilled out with the right hole size and spacing.

Edited by Southpa

Southpa's right on. However, I doubt you'll be able to find leather latches like that anywhere, so you might as well replace them with some traditional metal latches. Don't forget that there are different sizes of rivets. You'll most likely need the largest ones they have. If the rivets don't fit, get a few packages of small nuts and bolts from the hardware store. That'll work just as well. Just remember to use lockwashers if you go the nut/bolt route.

peace,

russ

Find the rivets that fit exactly, anything sticking out will scratch your instrument when moving it in and out of the case. If you go with nuts 'n bolts cut the excess bolt off with a hacksaw. If possible cover the insides of your attachments with some sort of padding.

I've repaired case latches by using stainless pop rivets. Much better than the wimpy aluminum one, which never seem to hold up, well.

Looks like the case material it blown out, so you'll have to fabricate a backing plate, to cover the offending area. Providing the original latch is fine (looks like it, from the pics), you can re-use it. Your backing plate is gonna have to overhang the offending area, by roughly a 1/2", preferrably more, on either side, for it to hold. You can also help in the fix, by epoxying the backer, in place, so it will not shift, once everything is together.

all in all, this is a far easier fix than the dreaded corner blowout!

• 2 months later...
problem no 1: where can I get pop rivets?

ANY hardware store, you will also need a rivet gun, just ask at the store.

problem no 2: how do I remove the soft interior without damaging it?

A sharp blade inserted into the edge to get you started and it should pull right off the shell. When finished the repair you can spray a little aerosol glue (Air-Tac II, Elmer's Spray Adhesive or similar) onto the inside of the shell and press the fabric back on.