Locking Nuts

Hey guys i was just wondering if anybody had a tutorial to show how you change a standard nut to a locking nut on a premade cheap strat neck i picked up, as I think it would look sweet to have a gold locking nut on a strat. Any advice would be safe . cheers guys ( P.s - Didn't really know which area to put this under )

I don't have an answer for you, but rather a question.

Are you planning on installing anything else (such as a locking trem...) on the same guitar, or is the locking nut the only thing you're considering?

I am planning on installing a trem yes, not sure if its locking , are all trems locking ? The item doesn't state that it is locking lol . I just thought it would look cool with a locking nut.

A locking nut shouldn't just be added "for looks".

It's not worth the hassle.

Considering that you must also have a trem with fine-tuning ability.

You cannot slap a locking nut on there, if you have a standard vintage trem or Wilkinson.

Don't work...

A locking nut shouldn't just be added "for looks".

It's not worth the hassle.

Considering that you must also have a trem with fine-tuning ability.

You cannot slap a locking nut on there, if you have a standard vintage trem or Wilkinson.

Don't work...

Uh, you can do it, just cut some grooves in the locking pieces so that you can still tune with the machine head, and have the look of the locking nut.

As someone who just routed for a locking nut, not too long ago, let me just say that unless you NEED a locking nut, don't INSTALL a locking nut, especially if you are a beginner. All it takes is routing too deep, or routing into the end of the fretboard, and you've toasted your neck. Of course, either scenario MAY be repairable, but see what you've done? Created even MORE work for yourself than needed.

Now, my nut routing job went flawless, and I am quite happy with it, but if it would've gone south, I'd be rather p.o.ed, right about now.