Twin Humbuckers Not Very Destorted.

danworth

sorry to point out the obvious, but are they close enough to the strings? might be worth looking at. also make sure that you have them wired correctly and put a multimeter to see if the dc resistance is close to the rated 15K. you may have wired them up wrong i.e. coil split etc.

hope that helps

S

:D

He had the wiring diagrams that were

Red soldered to White

Black to bare

and green to 3 way.

I checked the net and found another diagram which is pretty much the same but green to bare and black to 3 way, i tried both and both give same result. i also found another way of wiring.

black soldered to white

green to bare

red to 3 way

this resulted in even lower output so im pretty sure they wired correctly using the first way.

I didn't think of using a multi meter to check, i'll check now.

I also have the pickups about 2mm away which is as close as i can get them.

many thanks.

Could it be a broken/ incorrect value volume pot?

ok i checked the pickup one is 16k and the other 8k, so they are ok. but while i was there i checked the volume which was again 16k resistance no matter the setting, just replaced it from my old pick guard and it all working now, and is very loud. and destorts great. it sound even better then my fender. i think im gunna have to replace the pickups in my telecaster now.

thanks people for your help, its made my weekend! :D

i checked the volume which was again 16k resistance no matter the setting,

So it was the volume then?

Glad you fixed it

yep replaced it with the old one from the other pick guard assembly which read 3-6k on the meter and it worked fine.

If it works fine, then dont worry about it, but I think you may have measured wrong, the resistance should be about 100 times more than that.

Maybe your multimeter was set to the wrong setting or something?

You say it works though, so dont worry about it.

When you wired it the second time, you probably wired it in parallel. That's why the output was so low.

If you have real Duncans in there, it's supposed to be green and bare together and grounded, red and white together, and black hot to switch. With the way you have it, it'll work fine but the phase is just reversed. The slug coil is now the hot coil and the screw coil is the dummy.

They recommend using 500k pots for humbuckers and 250k for single-coils, too.

When you wired it the second time, you probably wired it in parallel. That's why the output was so low.

If you have real Duncans in there, it's supposed to be green and bare together and grounded, red and white together, and black hot to switch. With the way you have it, it'll work fine but the phase is just reversed. The slug coil is now the hot coil and the screw coil is the dummy.

They recommend using 500k pots for humbuckers and 250k for single-coils, too.

I currently do have it wired like that

Green to Bare and grounded, red and white soldered, and black to the 3 way switch.

i had the meter set to 20k. i did think that i had the meter set wrong as it read 16k resistance even when i changed the volume, but although the volume being very low it would effect the output, so the resistance must change. Even the guy i bought it from couldn't understand why it was so quiet as it was from a working guitar.

As you can tell its the first time me attempting wiring a guitar.

But as said above, it works so i'll leave it.

Oh, okay. I thought you'd said you had it the other way earlier.

Anyway, you also have to measure the value of the pots when they're not connected in the circuit, otherwise you'll be measuring the resistance of the whole circuit instead.