Are Pots Designed As Volume Or Tone Specifically?

m0b1liz3

I was looking at replacing the pots in my strat. However the stores online I look at just specify 500 or 250k values and say "audio taper pot". Does this mean that a 500k pot can be used as a volume pot or a tone pot depending on how you wire it?

From what I understand the normal strat setup uses a 500k pot for volume and 250k pots for the tone controls.

My question is: does the pot have to be specified as a volume pot when I am looking online or will any 500k audio pot do?????

Any will work, but ideally you want log for volume and linear for tone, as that will provide the 'smoothest' vol/tone change as you rotate the pot.

Many companies use the 'wrong' pot (eg linear for volume), so its not that crucial

Does Taper = linear or log?

I dont think it means either really...

You have 'log taper' pots and 'linear taper' pots, the log/linear describes the taper of the pot if that makes sense.

I *think* an "audio taper pot" is a logarithmic one

Does Taper = linear or log?

I dont think it means either really...

You have 'log taper' pots and 'linear taper' pots, the log/linear describes the taper of the pot if that makes sense.

I *think* an "audio taper pot" is a logarithmic one

It's ok, the store has pics of the pots and there were some designated A500K (Volume I assume) and B250K (Tone). (I read the other thread where this was mentioned by you I think). So I think I have it sorted out. Just have to order this stuff.