Need A Special Pot

rhoads56

Yo... fellas...

I need a pot (not a slide pot) that will turn on in only 45-90deg of rotation rather than the usual 300ish degrees of rotation.

OR

A pot that looks and feels like a normal pot, but is "all on" by about 2-3 on the dial (quarter turn or less), with no effect on the sound after that, if you know what i mean.

A normal linear pot goes something like:

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

and an audio pot goes:

1/1.5/2/2.5/3/4/5.5/7.5/10

I need one that goes:

1/4/7/10/10/10/10/10/10/10

???????????????

OR

A pot that looks and feels like a normal pot, but is "all on" by about 2-3 on the dial (quarter turn or less), with no effect on the sound after that, if you know what i mean.

When I tried to wire a crackly volume pot out of the circuit on one of my guitars, for some bizarre reason that I never figured out it ended up non crackly, and gave the exact effect you describe. I doubt it's worth me going into more detail, since I think this was just some freak result.

On a possibly more helpful note...:D

Isnt that an effect that people complain of when using pots that are of too high value for the guitar?

eg. if you used a 2 meg pot on a guitar, the only part of its rotation where it had any significant effect would be around 0/1/2/3....

Whats this for?

Yo... fellas...

I need a pot (not a slide pot) that will turn on in only 45-90deg of rotation rather than the usual 300ish degrees of rotation.

OR

A normal linear pot goes something like:

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

and an audio pot goes:

1/1.5/2/2.5/3/4/5.5/7.5/10

I need one that goes:

1/4/7/10/10/10/10/10/10/10

???????????????

only one???

if so you can do some mods to a pot based off of geofex.com mods the secret life of pots

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

effectively if you want it full on you would pick the point where you want it full on to start. and cover the pot from that point to its max rotation with a thin coat of solder. the pot resistance to ground would stay the same but you pick via the solder trace where it would top out. at least it looks good on paper and with a multimeter but i haven't put audio through it to see if its scratchy.

ciao

i got a little time tuesday if you want me to make you one and send it to you.

I was going to link to that Geofex article myself. Seems like you could almost open up a pot, scrape of the resistive film and apply some sort of conductive material to short out the last bit of rotation?

Also, would a reverse-log taper work? ("C" or "G" taper pots) I know they're hard to find these days, but Small Bear carries them for the pedal-building crowd. It would give you most of your sweep in value in the first portion of the turn.