Fingerpicks

Mickguard

I use a thumbpick from time to time, but short-nails fingertips for the other fingers. And sometimes, nothing will replace an actual pick. No reason to try to get rid of it, after all, it's just another tool in the arsenal. Ani DiFranco uses full-on fingerpicks, and Tommy Emmanuel does the 'thumbpick+fingers, no nails" thing.

Also, spacing at the nut end will hardly affect string spread at all. You're stuck with a pretty standard spread if you're using factory bridges. So I wouldn't worry about it overmuch.

I started using fingerpicks many years ago when I first picked up the banjo. I never got very far with bluegrass, learned some banjo rolls, and open G chords etc. Its a very loud instrument and can really turn your neighbors into enemies fast. :D But that approach made fingerpicking on guitar a little easier. Metal fingerpicks can be bent to conform with your fingers. I found that my pick attack on the strings is at a bit of an angle and as a result the edges of the picks would first hit the strings making a scratching sound. So I turned the picks on my fingers to that angle and get full pick to string contact now. I prefer a small plastic thumbpick and have even cut them down to my preference.

Strumming can be difficult with fingerpicks. The first time I tried it picks went flying off all over the place. But once again, my banjo technique came into play. A very light "frailing" is involved where the index finger is slightly bent into the strings and gently raked across. The trick is to hit each up and downstroke with just the tip of the pick.

If you want to hear the ultimate in steel string acoustic guitar fingerpicking, Leo Kottke is the man. :D

Also, spacing at the nut end will hardly affect string spread at all. You're stuck with a pretty standard spread if you're using factory bridges. So I wouldn't worry about it overmuch.

The difference in string spread between my strat and my Melody Maker (w/compensated wraparound) is significant --it's easier to fingerpick the strat, but I prefer to fret the Melody Maker! Be nice to find a middle ground though ...

I'm stuck with using fingerpicks though --I can't grow my thumbnail, it's been split for years now, refuses to grow solid again. And since I type all day, I can't stand having long nails on my fingers...don't understand how secretaries do that!

My teacher says that a lot of fingerpickers can do away with picks because of the shape of their thumb-- a long skinny flat thumb especially.

My thumb's not particularly long and/or articulated, compared to many, but y'know, you work with what you have. The shape of the thumb has diddly to do with whether you like using fingernails or not; mine tend to break, so it's not work the hassle for me.

As for playability, you've kinda made my point for me ;-) It's bridge spacing that matters, nut spacing is more or less trivial. if you want a 'wider' feel, get a wider-spaced bridge, which means not your beloved wraparounds, sadly.

I'm using fingerpicks while learning lap steel guitar, and it's been a really interesting experience. Naturally, I've tried them out on guitar as well and I like them quite a bit. The thumbpick makes it tricky to do a pinch harmonic, though. :D

One thing worth mentioning to people reading this topic-- a lot of folks (myself included for years and years, and even a music store employee I met) try to wear them as a "surrogate fingernail", i.e. backwards. The curved bit should go along your fingertips, not over your fingernail!

Greg