Painting Disaster?

I am finishing my first guitar and have a problem. It has binding, so I masked that off before spraying. I then used cheap krylon to spray the color coats and the clear coats. Then I slowly took off the tape over the binding, but when I did it ripped off a little paint around the binding and the edges of the paint aren't very even. There are little jags around the edges, so I tried scraping some off. Am I supposed to take off the tape before I do the clearcoats? Is it too late for me to fix it? :D Sorry I can't get any pics right now, but if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

I am finishing my first guitar and have a problem. It has binding, so I masked that off before spraying. I then used cheap krylon to spray the color coats and the clear coats. Then I slowly took off the tape over the binding, but when I did it ripped off a little paint around the binding and the edges of the paint aren't very even. There are little jags around the edges, so I tried scraping some off. Am I supposed to take off the tape before I do the clearcoats? Is it too late for me to fix it? :D Sorry I can't get any pics right now, but if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

There's no mention here of body prep or primer. :D

IMO, good body prep is essential in achieving a nice finish.

And primer will help your basecoat adhere.

Also, I've found that removing the tape while the paint is still "tacky" will help prevent the "jagged edges".

And yes ... removing the tape PRIOR to clearcoating will help "blend" your new paintjob.

Good luck B)

^ Sorry, I didn't mention all the details. It had sanding sealer and was prepped very well. The paint went on smoothly and everything seemed fine. I guess my problem was not removing the tape when the paint was "tacky." I waited several days before taking the tape off, so it was very dry. Then the paint ripped. So I took off the tape and tried to fix it up some and gave it some more clear coats. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry and hoping nothing else bad happens. :D And thanks for the reply.

There is a certain window of time where the paint is tacky when it is best to take off the tape. It takes a certain "feel" to find out when the best time is. You could use a sharp blade and trace around the binding but that is a pita. Practice slowly taking the tape off when the paint is tacky.