Stratocaster Template / Centerline Question

Hey All.

I could use a little help.

I made my Strat template from an old Ovation strat body I've had lying about for many years.

I based the bottom of my centerline on the strap button placement, but after comparing that template with my Tele template, I noticed a difference.

At the widest point (about 12" down from the top of the neck pocket), I get about 6 1/4" on one side, and 6 1/2" on the other. Now, there's nothing saying that the centerline HAS to cut perfectly center thru the body, after all, a Strat is not a perfectly symmetrical body shape, but it got me to wondering what you all out there get when you measure your templates, I have a feeling that the strap button may have been a little off center, and may not have been politically correct for a centerline placement.

I'm wondering if I should move it over a notch until I'm getting roughly 6 3/8" on either side.

Let me know what your getting from your templates at 12" down from top.

I thank you, and W.O.D. does NOT thank you! :D:DB)

I have a feeling that the strap button may have been a little off center, and may not have been politically correct for a centerline placement.

Well, I got no strat templates handy but if it will ease your mind... I laid a straightedge at the center of the neck and between 3rd and 4th bridge saddle on my '88 US made strat. The straightedge continued right to the center of the rear strap button. Its definitely on the centerline. :D

Drak, I suggest you pick up the book: "Understanding Your Center Line," by Nelson P. Dillwaddle. Then you wouldn't be asking these questions.

:D:D

Anyway, is this an Applause strat? I had one of those for a while and I'm pretty sure the strap button was off-center on that one too, just very slightly. The strap button on my Stagg Telecaster body is off by about 5 mm-- the same might be true for the body (Johnson tele) I used for the Bocaster.