Covering A Body In Snakeskin

Dino

The headstock doesnt look all that seamless to me...

(Edit: I'm refering to this picture btw, http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/74/6e/c9_3.JPG )

Maybe they force-fed the guitar body to the snake before they killed it, then let it dry out and shink to conform to the guitar shape :D

There's something about dead animal remains on a guitar that doesnt really appeal to me- like bone nuts too.

The pattern is pretty cool though.

Sorry I dont have anything helpful to say :D

Edited by Ben

Sorry, can't really help you, but who puts a 1,000+ dollar (face down no less) on asphault?

OK, maybe a little bit helpful- if it was a giant python then then the body would probably be big enough the fit a strat in, that explains the no seems on the sides. for everything else you'll notice the scales are in a pettern, they could have just cut with the scales and when they glued it down interlocked the scales , looking seemless

Edited by Nitefly SA

i dont think that thats even real snake skin. i just bought a shat load of stuff made out of boa and king cobra(i went on a trip to the philippines and the stuff was cheap), wallets, belts, watch bands, guitar straps, hat, shoes and none of them look like taht. nitefly sa prolly correct bout the cutting out scales ect.

Something to note: the belly scales on that guitar are both on the top AND on the bottom of the guitar, so there has to be seams. Otherwise, that's one WEIRD SNAKE!

On second examination, I see the seams. They are located on the edges between the top, back and the sides (It is essentially 3 pieces). If you notice, the scale patterns don't line up, in those areas, too, further giving proof of a seam. You are right, though. To make it as seamless as possible, they interlocked the scales.

Edited by Racer X

After a quick google search for "python skin", I was only able to find python skin about 10" wide. That's at least 2" probably 3" short of being wide enough to cover the entire top of that guitar in 1 piece. I think that skin is spliced together on the top and the back as well. If you look along the snakes belly part of the skin, is there a seam there? if there is it's hard to see. Whoever did it did a nice job.

I looked. I don't see a seem. It is one piece, on the top and on the bottom. However, they didn't get the belly scales quite centered, though, on the top, and the pattern looks a bit skewd between the left and right sides of the top. Might've had to compromise the positioning, in order for the piece to fit. Hmmm..if you look at the heel shot, you can see where the top and the side's scales change directions, too. Further indication of a splice.

And looking at the lift of the scales, I am certain that this is legit python skin. Fake skin, at least those that I'VE ever seen, don't lift like that, cause they aren't real scales, but mere texture on the fake skin.

Edited by Racer X

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That is one of the seams. You can tell, easily, cause it's a totally different pattern on the other side of that line. Plus the scales are going off, in another direction. There is another seam, just under the strap knob. Notice, again, that the scales change direction, right at the strap knob. So, correction. This would seem to have FOUR different pieces: Top, back, side 1, and side 2.

Edited by Racer X