64 Fender Reverb

h20rider

I'm replacing the capacitors in an original 64 Fender reverb unit Model 6G15. There are two blue molded capacitors labeled 1mfd 400v. Although this would seem to be one microfarad at 400 volts, these are pretty uncommon capacitors. They are not electrolytic. I can't find a 1 mf capacitor on the schematic. The reissue model has two 0.1 mf at 400 v listed, but that is the reissue. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

There shouldn't be a 1uF@400V cap anywhere in an unmodified 6G15:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/..._6g15_schem.pdf

There's a pair of .1uF caps in the original (output coupling caps), just like in the reissue. Out of curiosity, why are you replacing these caps if they're not electrolytics?

Lovecraft, Thanks! Regarding the replacement of the nonelectrolytics...Perhaps I shouldn't. I've been under the impression that replacement of all caps was a good idea. Unfortunately the leads are cut so short (close to the body) that resoldering them seems problematic. Will it damage the cap (plastic molded) to get solder up next to it...perhaps I can save them. Otherwise, I have orange drops of 0.1mf.

Also, any idea why the old ones are labeled as they are. On "The Pedal Doctor" site, he has a picture of the blue caps in question. There's a hint of a decimal point, but it is hard to tell if it is that or just a speck. Mine DEFINITLY do not have a decimal point.

In any case, I really appreciate the response.

The general consensus on vintage gear repair is to leave everything as close to original as possible, to preserve "vintage tone" (or, probably more aptly, resale value). The electros do need replacing, since they do have a short lifespan, and can wreak havoc when they fail, but most of the other components will probably outlive our species, provided they're not abused. My rule of thumb is not to replace anything (except electros) unless the unit sounds bad, and my own experience has led me to believe that better quality components don't necessarily make an older amp sound better - some of these designs apparently relied on the limitations of existing components for their signature sound, and installing a bunch of good stuff has made many a nice old amp sound positively generic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you're Howard Dumble. :D But that's just my take on it - as always, YMMV. :D

Point well takem LoveKraft. Thanks. I've reinstalled.

Another setback though. I just plugged it all in. Very little if any reverb effect...but some tone changes when tone knobs are adjusted. Signal gets to amp when reverb is on. Most importantly, however, is that the transformer heated up and crackled some. I confess I replaced a really decrepit power cord since my last turn on.

Suggestions? I hate to take it to a tech and lose it for 2 months.