4pole 5way Double Wafer Switch Wiring Help!

So I posted on the Here but no luck..

nobody ever goes there.. so better luck here, hopefully

I know 5way 4pole switch they drew on that topic and the schematic works for 4-conductor wires

I'm not a complete noob. but I can't understand anything, basically, other than the standard wirings. (So I am still a noobie)

So please be patient

So I want the positions to be...

Bridge humbucker

Inner coils in parallel

Outer coils in series

Outer coils in parallel

Neck humbucker

And I have 4-Pole Double Wafer 5-Way SuperSwitch Switch from UniversalJems (scroll down, the last one of the toggle switchs list)

My pickups have 5 wires each. They're Bill Lawrence 500s pickups

It says...

white = postivie (hot) lead

black = negative lead to ground

blue = [it says to solder it to ground]

red & green -> it says for standard wiring solder together and insulate

for split coil wiring, solder the combined red & green wires to one of the treminals of an on-off switch & connect the other terminal to ground

where would I solder these to the 5 way 4 pole lever switch?

I was asking Robert_the_damned about his Diagram..

I waswondering for that schematic, did he draw it like that because drawing it all on one switch would be too hectic?

Or does one of them refer to the "top" side of the switch and the other, "bottom" side?

Also, where are the pots and capacitor(s)?

I checked these out from SeymourDuncan: PRS mod1, PRS mod2

But I think they're all refering to the Rotary switch.. which isn't what I'm talking about now?

I need this :D So please help!

Q.Q

So I posted on the Here but no luck..

nobody ever goes there.. so better luck here, hopefully

I know 5way 4pole switch they drew on that topic and the schematic works for 4-conductor wires

I'm not a complete noob. but I can't understand anything, basically, other than the standard wirings. (So I am still a noobie)

So please be patient

So I want the positions to be...

Bridge humbucker

Inner coils in parallel

Outer coils in series

Outer coils in parallel

Neck humbucker

And I have 4-Pole Double Wafer 5-Way SuperSwitch Switch from UniversalJems (scroll down, the last one of the toggle switchs list)

My pickups have 5 wires each. They're Bill Lawrence 500s pickups

It says...

white = postivie (hot) lead

black = negative lead to ground

blue = [it says to solder it to ground]

red & green -> it says for standard wiring solder together and insulate

for split coil wiring, solder the combined red & green wires to one of the treminals of an on-off switch & connect the other terminal to ground

where would I solder these to the 5 way 4 pole lever switch?

I was asking Robert_the_damned about his Diagram..

I waswondering for that schematic, did he draw it like that because drawing it all on one switch would be too hectic?

Or does one of them refer to the "top" side of the switch and the other, "bottom" side?

Also, where are the pots and capacitor(s)?

I checked these out from SeymourDuncan: PRS mod1, PRS mod2

But I think they're all refering to the Rotary switch.. which isn't what I'm talking about now?

I need this :D So please help!

Q.Q

This is the sort of thing that guitar parts suppliers have designed just to send people mad!

Firstly, you ARE dealing with a rotary switch, just one that is tuned on its side, that is what these switches are.

I have one in may fave Tele which is Bridge, Neck and bridge in parallel, neck and bridge in series (great on a Tele), neck and bridge in series out of phase and neck.

Working this out made my brain very sore. I have another requirement at the moment similar to yours but somehow every time I sit down to think about this something esle crops up, like needing to watch some paint dry or wanting to learn how to make origami guitar bodies or, mmmm, just something.

If I can concentrate long enough (not likely) I will have a go and try to work this one out.

My plan is for Bridge,

Outer coils in series

both humbuckers in series out of phase

One coil of bridge and both neck in series

Neck humbucking

but then, tomorrow night I have a first rehearsal for a gig in a few weeks and I will probably just plug a P90 into a valve amp and use that all night!

Cool! It's Mr. Hiscock! I have your book! :D (wait.. are you really Mr.Hiscock? :D )

I decided it might cost me some bux but I will just go with This

Saves a headache..

I'll be obligated to buy some more stuff from StewMac just to compensate for myself about the shipping fees, but.. it seems not many people even know how to wire this..

Cool! It's Mr. Hiscock! I have your book! :D (wait.. are you really Mr.Hiscock? :D )

I decided it might cost me some bux but I will just go with This

Saves a headache..

I'll be obligated to buy some more stuff from StewMac just to compensate for myself about the shipping fees, but.. it seems not many people even know how to wire this..

Remember that you can make things too complicated.

If you have to stop, remember where a switch has to be, change it and then start playing then you are already way behind your band. There is a good case for keeping things simply (I have been known to say in print that all you need to do is give me a Les Paul Junior!)

before you make any decision to install a clever wiring system ask yourself how often you are likely to use the choices.

By the way, I just checked in the mirror, I am me.

By the way, I just checked in the mirror, I am me.

Cognitive dissonance may be defined as seeing Melvyn Hiscock described as a "newbie" on this forum. :D

Thanks for everything you've done for guitar builders up to now, and I'm excited to get your input on the forum now.

Regards,

Brian.

before you make any decision to install a clever wiring system ask yourself how often you are likely to use the choices.

Seconded. I wasted far too much time at college dreaming up all manner of daft switching options. In truth, nobody wants them as its just impractical and ruins the look of an instrument if you have loads of knobs and switches everywhere. Donald Brosnac's book Guitar Electronics for Musicians had me engrossed for ages and was great for helping me understand things, but I came round to Mr. Hiscock's way of thinking too.

By the way, Melvyn, Yours was the first publication I bought on guitar making and I'd just like to say thanks for your input in my career. The section on neck shaping and the flame top tele sunburst finishing process was very useful to me.

+1 on the VIP badge, if ONE person on this forum deserves it it's definitely you.

Got your book in '87 when I was 16 along with Bill Foley's and Roger Sominoff's those two were useless to me and must have 2 inches of dust on them by now, yours still gets read today.

Sorry for stearing the thread away, just had to say that :D

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the kind words chaps. It makes an old man proud. Mind you, I am not that nice in real life, ask Mattia!

Just as an add-on to this thread. Last week I finished putting together a cedar-bodied not-a-tele. The wiring was as I have in my other tele - back/both in parallel/both in series/both in series out of phase/front. Instead of single coils on this one I have humbuckers and the addition of a coilt tap on a push-pull. So I get that wiring option in humbucking or single coil.

It works well and is very useful. If you want a copy of the diagram I can do this and I will not charge but will ask for a donation to cancer charities. I lost a good friend this year to lukaemia (David Covell who used to post a lot of rec.music.makers.guitar) so that'll be for him. Trust me, he was worth it.

Melvyn

Proud to be a newbie

Out of curiousity, why do you use out of phase?

when I wired my strat up out of phase it sounded like I was in a box, I didnt know it was out of phase untill I switched some stuff arround and it went away.

I like the in series idea, but I cant see why out of phase is desired.. unless it sounds totaly different on yours.

SD: hot rail(bridge)/vintage SC/ Duckbucker(bridge, in neck position)

and like everyone else here, I couldnt even of started without your book. Im often re-reading to see methods, or ideas I may have forgotten. especially when it comes to finish.. ugh. Im going to have fun there.

Out of curiousity, why do you use out of phase?

when I wired my strat up out of phase it sounded like I was in a box, I didnt know it was out of phase untill I switched some stuff arround and it went away.

I like the in series idea, but I cant see why out of phase is desired.. unless it sounds totaly different on yours.

SD: hot rail(bridge)/vintage SC/ Duckbucker(bridge, in neck position)

and like everyone else here, I couldnt even of started without your book. Im often re-reading to see methods, or ideas I may have forgotten. especially when it comes to finish.. ugh. Im going to have fun there.

When two strat pickups are on together, in positions 2 and 4 of a normal five-way strat switch it is often known as 'out of phase' when it is not. They are just on in parallel. If you do put them out of phase it does sound a complete load of old pants, as you point out. However that is parallel out of phase what I have is series out of phase, so there is much more volume but still a nice jangliness about it.

So, back pickup as normal. Both on in parallel - the normal (post 1950s) tele mid position, both in on series - so acting as a great big humbucker, both on in series out of phase (jangly) and front. It actually sounds very good.