Pickup Mounting

Hi everyone, I am very confused as to how I am supposed to mount 2 single coil sized pickups into my guitar body. (The pickups are Dimarzio Chopper and Dimarzio Pro Track, and the body is new, and has 2 routed holes for pickups and has no pickguard). I just cant figure out how I mount these pickups to the wood while still being able to adjust the height of the pickup. Any help is appreciated

you can use screws or pickup rings both will work. The screws will replace the bolts and be screwed directly into the guitar body the more you turn them into the body the lower the pickup will be. Or you can go with single coild pickup rings.

Hope that helps

i dont want to buy pickup rings, but if i use screws would i also need to insert springs so that the height remains adjustable (the screws currently thread through the pickups)

When I took some of my superstrat type guitars, I found out how they mounted the single coils. They basically take a compressible, but relatively tough, piece of foam, and stick it under the pickup. Then the screws go directly into the guitar body. Loosening the screws increases pickup height and vice versa.

you can use screws or pickup rings both will work. The screws will replace the bolts and be screwed directly into the guitar body the more you turn them into the body the lower the pickup will be. Or you can go with single coild pickup rings.

Hope that helps

i dont want to buy pickup rings, but if i use screws would i also need to insert springs so that the height remains adjustable (the screws currently thread through the pickups)

Or, for a pro solution, you can use these:

Threaded inserts

Jem :D

Yes, but part of the job of the foam or springs or rubber hosing (what Fender uses) is to prevent the pickup from vibrating.

What's stopping you using a spring or foam or a peice of Courtney Love's underwear ? Being actually inserted into the body elliminates any unwanted vibration or wierdo notes much more than just using a self tapping wood screw and you can adjust the pickup height a million times without the fear of the thread stripping out which i would be fearfull of if i was just using a self tapper. All of my Hamer shredders from the late 80's use these inserts with springs no problem at all and i use it too. The only problem i get is actually getting hold of the inserts themselves as #4-40 isn't a thread that's widely used within Europe (saying that it seems to be a favorite of the RC car racing guys) but luckily i've managed to blag a small quantity from the EZ-LOK rep over here which should keep me going for a while.

Or, for a pro solution, you can use these:

Threaded inserts

Cool idea. Thanks for the tip! I was wondering about a better solution.

What's stopping you using a spring or foam or a peice of Courtney Love's underwear ?

Nothing at all. My point is that regardless of which system, you still need a way to control the vibration.

I kind of think the inserts are overkill though --I mean, how many times do your really raise and lower your pickups?

But hey, that's why we're building our own guitars, so we can do what we like to 'em :D