Hand Routing A Telecaster

Hello everyone I am brand new here so please bear with me, I have decided to install a 3rd pickup on my telecaster. I have all the parts I need and have studied the wirring diagrams as to what I will wire. My problem is this I need to get the body routed for the 3rd pickup. I have no expirence in cutting guitar bodies or have access to a router is there anyway other than chisel to make the cut and does anyone have any tips for me. Thanks in advance Tim.

A router and template is the best possible way to make a cavity, however a chisel might work (you might have some issues getting it at the right angle when you're deep in). If you must use a chisel, remove most of the wood first with a drill press.

It's probably wiser to let a pro do it, but nobody who actually makes guitars on this board listens to that advice anyway.

Hello everyone I am brand new here so please bear with me, I have decided to install a 3rd pickup on my telecaster. I have all the parts I need and have studied the wirring diagrams as to what I will wire. My problem is this I need to get the body routed for the 3rd pickup. I have no expirence in cutting guitar bodies or have access to a router is there anyway other than chisel to make the cut and does anyone have any tips for me. Thanks in advance Tim.

Are you keeping the pickguard? If so, then that gives you a little leeway, since the pickguard will hide the mess you're about to make. :D Your Pickguard is your Friend. :D

Actually, using a router might be messier, because you'll risk scratching the rest of the guitar. With a router, you'll get cleaner lines, but that's not a huge issue when you have a pickguard.

If you have access to a drill press, you can use a forstner bit to take out the bulk of the route, then clean it up with a chisel. If you're careful and take your time, that shouldn't be a problem at all. You can connect the new cavity to the wiring channel too.

The most important thing is to plan out what you want to do first. Practice up on a piece of scrap before attacking the guitar itself --that way you'll know if you can do this or not.

I'd align the pickguard and see if it matches the other two pickups first. In other words, go ahead and move the two pickups to the new pickguard temporarily to see if it will align properly and all the screw hole will match. Then you can actually take something and draw onto the wood around the edges of the pickup hole, where the other pickup route needs to be. If it was mine, I'd use a router and template to insure good results. You can use something soft between the template and body to avoid scratches. If you must use a chisel, then a pickguard will help cover it up if any mistakes, but personally I would hate anyone to later take the pickguard off to see what sloppy work I did... lol I'm not saying you'll do sloppy work with a chisel, but the chance is much greater of making a mistake than using a template and router. As far as a dremel goes, don't even think about it, the motor is too weak to do such work as routing out a cavity in hardwood. It's great for inlay work, which is what I use mine for, and polishing fretwire after fretting, but that's about all. I don't even think I'd trust it with routing a truss rod slot.

My 0.02$ would be

if you bought the pickguard, the pickup, the switch and so fourth

buy the router and template. you can get a router pretty cheap

the bit is like $15 and the template is like $10

a cheap used or new router from harbor freight is like $30-$40

thats like $65 bucks and you get to use it again

seems worth it to me. but its not my guitar

but i would never touch my pride and joys without the proper tools

as it would be like buying an expensive amp only to listen to it through headphones

not a good use of money

Don't underestimate yoursefl.

Get a couple of good chisels and maybe a knife too.

It's just wood and you are only removing small amounts.

Patients is the key.

Challenge yourself and do it.

You'll be amazed at how well you do.

Go slow and don't rush it.

"Measure twice and cut once."

As was said, a router will require lots of prep work as it is big and bulky.

If you've never used a router or a template before, grab yoself a big ole scrap piece of wood lying about anywhere and do 1 or 2 practice runs on that first to ensure a pro-looking job that will keep the resale value of the guitar intact. You'll be happy you did. :D

Well this is the first real modification I have ever done I was so pleased with the outcome that I ordered some parts for a stratocaster of mine. Its getting a complete electrical upgrade. I also am thinking about putting a bigsby on that tele

See, you're already addicted :D

Nice mod BTW- I agree- it looks like its always had 3 pickups.