Do I Need To Do This?

Hi people, new here...yeah. Well anyways I'm just finishing up on repainting my first guitar and I was curious about a few things. I have a satin/flat type finish on the guitar and I was curious if it needs to be polished. If it doesn't need polishing does it need to be sanded flat? The paint underneith I had up to 2000 grit on parts that really needed it. Should I do the same on the clear finish? Also what is the difference between doing it wet and doing it dry which one will produce the best result? Hope that isn't to much...

I have actually not done a satin finish, but I suspect that you shouldn’t buff the surface. I’d say that you should take the finish down as flat as possible and then finish things with one perfect layer of satin. Let’s hope that someone with experience from this can give you better advice.

But one thin I can answer is the wet/dry question. If you wet sand the paper won’t clog up as fast as if you do it dry. So the main reason is economical. Save up on paper. Having said that I must admit that I often do dry spot sanding during a finish. I wet sand and wipe it dry to inspect. If I find some place that need a little more sanding I use the paper dry to see the result faster. I only have to blow the dust away compared to wiping and letting dry. And I really like the surface to be clean AND dry to see the progress.

Note: I use water borne finish and it might work a little different with nitro.

Hi people, new here...yeah. Well anyways I'm just finishing up on repainting my first guitar and I was curious about a few things. I have a satin/flat type finish on the guitar and I was curious if it needs to be polished. If it doesn't need polishing does it need to be sanded flat? The paint underneith I had up to 2000 grit on parts that really needed it. Should I do the same on the clear finish? Also what is the difference between doing it wet and doing it dry which one will produce the best result? Hope that isn't to much...

What type of paint/clearcoat did you use?

Just a tip on sanding between coats ...

If you use anything as fine as 2000 grit between coats, the paint won't have anything to grab onto and may eventually peel or flake off.

As for wetsand/drysand ...

Wetsanding will provide a smoother finish.

The water helps lubricate the sandpaper and helps avoid scratching the surface.