Inlay Makers, Read Please ;o

Hello people. I am a n00b at guitar building and etc, so bare with me.

I am having a custom guitar built for me, and I want some nice inlays on it, and I designed a cool inlay set that would work good for Rosewood, but this first custom I want a maple fretboard, and unfortunately, with this inlay, it doesnt look too great on maple heh

I was wondering if there is anyone here who can design cool inlays, and help me out, because im very artistically challenged. Also, if someone could make the fretboard for me, that would be a major plus also heh but mainly I just want the design made up, because I can't draw at all and have no idea how to make ideas click together

Basically, My first inlays has normal Star inlays, with a sun at the 12th fret, and the All-seeing eye at the first fret.. Unfortunately I think it looks bad on maple.. Now what I was thinking would be really cool on Maple, since you can use color abalam to make it more vibrant, was something like the Jem Vine inlay, but instead of pedals it would be Stars or star-shaped pedals, with the very top of the vine being a big sun, with the all-seeing eye in the middle of that sun.. Thats just the idea that comes to mind right now, but I have no idea how to draw that so I dont know if it would look cool or not.

The symbolism for my inlays on the Rosewood one, I have mountains at the 24th fret, to symbolize being grounded, what I have right now.. The stars to me represent hope and faith, dedication and goals (mainly because of Jason Becker, the inspiring guitarist fighting ALS and lived the past 16 years with the disease when he was given 4 years to live.. when I think of him I think of his version of When you wish apon a star, and he inspires me to never give up on my goals) Anyways, so the stars represent Hope... Then the sun to me represents the desire and passion to accomplish these goals and the burning fire to keep it up.. Then the all-seeing eye, is obvious I guess, To me though it represents the connection to our spiritual plane, as Steve Vai's song "Window to the soul" says, the window to our soul is our eyes.. connecting to the spiritual plane is the ultimate goal, reaching self-actualization and spiritual peace.

If anyone could help me out, even if its just to mention some ideas on the forums here, That would be great! Thanks

Not sure why your rosewood idea wouldn't work on maple, you just need to change the materials. On rosewood mother of pearl would look great, on maple it dissappears. But if you use Paua, Red Heart, or Green Heart, even Red Abalone, it would look great. Also, that design would be a lot cheaper than a vine concept. As soon as you start crossing frets like that, the price jumps. If you're interested in having something done, just out my site Shark Inlay. There are other guys around here that could do it for you too. Craig comes to mind.

Not sure why your rosewood idea wouldn't work on maple, you just need to change the materials. On rosewood mother of pearl would look great, on maple it dissappears. But if you use Paua, Red Heart, or Green Heart, even Red Abalone, it would look great. Also, that design would be a lot cheaper than a vine concept. As soon as you start crossing frets like that, the price jumps. If you're interested in having something done, just out my site Shark Inlay. There are other guys around here that could do it for you too. Craig comes to mind.

Well the idea would transfer to maple, when you transfer the material.. I just dont think it looks as good on maple, as it would on rosewood.. Hopefully the price doesnt jump too much when crossing frets =[

I am having a custom guitar built for me

I'm having a little bit of a tough time understanding why you aren't having this discussion with the guy building your custom guitar for you, typically, that's what they're there for, to help you and work with you to build what it is you want. :D

I hope you're not paying this guy any kind of serious money and then having to run around outsourcing this stuff. :D

well its a friend of mine, and its not a big price im paying him, hes only made 3-4 guitars, and hasnt done any inlay work yet, but he is gonna try for me, but I need a backup because like I said, he's never done any inlay work before lol He lives like 2 hours away from me, and isnt charging alot, thats why im going to him over someone else like say on these forums, because shipping is only like $15 to ship a guitar from me to him, and I have to ship a box of parts out and such heh

Hoping it works out though, but the most expensive part is all the friggin parts! and a inlaid fretboard is quite costly too, That and the trem are my only issues right now (finding an Edge pro for under $200US is impossible lol)

Edited by NickCormier

You know, if I could offer a suggestion, it would be maybe let the fancy inlay job wait until the next guitar.

If this guy has only built 4 guitars or so, what are the odds that he might take your high dollar inlaid fingerboard and somehow ruin it, not being an experienced luthier and whatnot.

Not criticizing your friend at all, but it could certainly happen.

All ideas are good, but not all ideas need turn into reality, some you can let them in, and just as easily, let them go again, or hold them for a later date when circumstances change more to your favor.

Just a thought. :D

I dunno how much money ill have in the future, esp after this guitar =/

I hear you. I've got guitars all over the house because I am addicted to building them. From that perspective its easy to say, "eh, next one." But I went 15 years with just one guitar because they are NOT cheap. If you got the cash for a custom guitar it may be your last. Get what you want.

Inlaying a fretboard is NOT a trivial task. As a result, the awesome inlay people who do custom work charge a fair, but not trivial, amount of money. You can easily spend as much for the inlay as you will for all the hardware and electronics.

If this is a dream guitar for you, I say go for it. That Shark Inlay cSuttle did is OUT OF SIGHT! Pay someone to press the frets in after they do the inlay and I think you run very little risk of your friend not gluing the fretboard to the neck right.