Collaging My Acoustic

Hello,

I am interested in putting a collage on the body of my acoustic guitar. This means that I need to adhere paper over the entire surface of the body. I was told that the best adhesive to use is PVA 'thick' glue. I've used this before for collages on tack board, but never on wood. My concern is that the body of the guitar will warp outwards causing the seams to split, but I'm not sure if the glue actually has enough force to bend the wood or not. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do I need to paint the inside of the guitar with the same glue? I know people have collaged acoustics with great success. Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel), for example, sold a series of collaged guitars that appeared to be extremely well put together.

Thanks for the Help.

Hello,

I am interested in putting a collage on the body of my acoustic guitar. This means that I need to adhere paper over the entire surface of the body. I was told that the best adhesive to use is PVA 'thick' glue. I've used this before for collages on tack board, but never on wood. My concern is that the body of the guitar will warp outwards causing the seams to split, but I'm not sure if the glue actually has enough force to bend the wood or not. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do I need to paint the inside of the guitar with the same glue? I know people have collaged acoustics with great success. Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel), for example, sold a series of collaged guitars that appeared to be extremely well put together.

Thanks for the Help.

I will say first of all I would never do this, but that is me.... That said..

Edit; Long explanation removed.

Are you building the guitar yourself? or is this a finished instrument. If it is finished describe the finish ( Thick Poly, Thin Nitro, French Polished...etc..). How much do you care about the guitar, it's current sound, and it's value?

Peace,Rich

Hi, I realize that I am endangering the tone of the guitar significantly. This guitar has been through a lot, and I am not thrilled with the sound as it is. That said, it isn't just a junker either - it is a bottom of the line larivee, which I would consider a nice instrument if not for the hard life it has already lead. I figure, the materials added to the front of the guitar will dampen the sound quite a bit - this is alright with me, the tone is too bright for my tastes currently. basically, I just don't want the wood to split, etc. I care for the guitar, which is part of the reason I am interested in collaging on top of the instrument. I don't know exactly what the current finish is, but it is the standard larivee finish. Thanks again, Mike

I would think a minimal spreading of pva glue would do no harm at all to the structural integrity of your acoustic top. PVA glue is not going to set up massive tension as it dries. It's just the water content (60 -75% typically) that can soak into the wood if you put loads on. However, if you're sticking paper to it, that will absorb the majority of the water and the glue will dry, through evaporation, through the paper collage you apply. I wouldn't worry about it.

White glue is not going to adhear to the finished surface well (it appears that they are currently using UV cured paint- their web site mentioned they have been changing methods so I guess it is hard to say for sure that is what you have). You will have to sand it a bit at a min. When you sand it try not to get all the way to exposed wood. If you do expose the wood. It will suck the glue up like a sponge (be careful not to soak or saturate the wood). Acoustic wood is thin and hopefully very dry. Moisture will pose a much bigger risk than a solid body. I think it can be done. Just exersise caution and make sure to min. stress on the box while you are doing this. After you glue the paper. How do you create the final surface finish? I have never done this so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Peace,Rich

Google decoupage.

Yup, Got the basic idea. The final finish is what I am wondering about. This is a quote from the first decoupage link I found (relating to final finish).

"Now, you can continue to add coats of the glue or decoupage medium or use another sealer (polyurethane, acrylic spray, etc.) until you get the desired results. You will, however, want to keep adding coats until the edges of the pictures are smooth."

Peace,Rich

Thanks for all the replies! I have already started the collage with thin coats of pva. it seems to be working extremely well. the finish is going to be the trickiest part, but it seems like thin coats of mod podge or some other product should do the trick. i'm about to check the google link.