Jem90 Finish - Possible Diy?

hello everyone - 1st post. i am from jemsite.com and i'm known there as screamndemon69 for those who frequent that site. i have a few customized RG's with holoflash, fabric tops, monkey grips, changed pickup routes, changed volume/tone holes and plan to get my latest project finished as soon as i can get more info on my choice of finish.

my question is textured finished and most importantly is it possible to DIY? i really like the finish on the Jem90 (i've seen this finish also on the podiums on Jeopardy for the contestants) and i have a custom modified RG560 i am wanting to re-finish and was hoping it is possible to do something similar to the Jem90th (or RG Metal)?

the body has already been modified (monkey grip, filled mid-single, filled tone hole, angled jack routed), stripped to the wood, sealed and is ready for primer and finishing. i have everything else i need to get this guitar up and playing (neck, electronics, pickups and hardware) and just wanted to see if the textured finish is possible before i decide on something else to do for this project.

thanks in advance for any input.

While I believe the 90th texture was created by sandblasting, you should be able to do a similar version yourself. To me, the surface of that guitar always reminded me of a texturing technique used on walls and ceiling of houses. You apply your "gooey" material, and then spread it out over the surface. By having areas of no material, when you spread it you will end up with voids....

The DBK looks similar, except the only applied a finish, without flattening it out.

basic'ly he's talking about a "Nockdown" finish

in home aplications its just a basic joint compound

mixed with a latex additive thats fed thru a special spraygun

that produces dots a the wall of varying sizes.

you let it setup a bit so its not to wet then drag a flat

surface across the top of the dots nocking them down

it makes a texture that resembles a 3d like lace fabric

you could probably splater laquer let it setup and drag a

putty knife across it and get almost the same effect

dont know if thats the finish your talking about though

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm

scroll down and youll see nockdown finishes

i was thinking along the same lines as the "knockdown" myself but materials were my problem - what to use? anyone else have any opinions on whether the laquer idea would work? would i also be able to spray paint it easily and then would it still need a clear?

this might be getting a little too involved but i just really dig the Jem90th finish and figure it would be a great finish for stage and i wouldn't be concerned with sweat and fingerprints too much.

thanks for all responses guys and any other info anyone could add. i have a couple DIY alternatives but a textured finish is what has kinda lit my fire for this particular project lately.

Edited by screamnjem77

Just want to remind you that any time you attach something to a surface and leave it proud of that surface, you have a reduced contact area and risk chipping and flaking. You could lock the coating in with a clear coats (many of them) to provide a seal. I have never seen a Jem90 in person so I can't tell if the finish is actually textured or an illusion. It is possible that this is a graphic either painted, tranferred, or veneered onto the guitar. I have no idea which one it is, just blurting out possibilities. Does anyone know which it is, from personal experience???...Rog

EDIT: Just another thought...someone early in the thread said they thought it was achieved by sandblasting. You could carve or blast (or any number of methods) the pattern INTO the guitar. No chipping or flaking then...Rog

i was thinking along the same lines as the "knockdown" myself but materials were my problem - what to use? anyone else have any opinions on whether the laquer idea would work? would i also be able to spray paint it easily and then would it still need a clear?

this might be getting a little too involved but i just really dig the Jem90th finish and figure it would be a great finish for stage and i wouldn't be concerned with sweat and fingerprints too much.

thanks for all responses guys and any other info anyone could add. i have a couple DIY alternatives but a textured finish is what has kinda lit my fire for this particular project lately.

the thing with nockdown is the technique more than the material

i dont think drywall mud is hard enough. and getting a finish

into all the nooks and crannys will be next to imposible

without destroying the texture.

try this on some scrap..put on a rubber glove dip your fingers in some

laquer and "flick" it on the scrap thus creating random size drops. keep checking to see if it is

setup up with a toothpick "stick the toothpick in a drop and pull it out

if its set up enough the laquer should stick up in the air like

a little spike" now take a rubber squeege and lightly drag it across

the tops of the dots if it is set up enough it should flatten the tops into the nockdown pattern

if it is not it will just smear.like i said it is a technique and like all technique's

it will take some time to get everything right